HD Voice adds +1 to phone calls, disabling Caller ID on Lexus, is there a work around?
RobinAZ

Hi,

For 4 years I have enjoyed using my iPhone in conjunction with my Lexus RX350, specifically the part where I can see incoming calls identified via my phone book names. So if I get a call from phone number 111-222-3333, the Lexus shows the name associated with that number from my Contacts List (first you have to upload the Contacts List to the Lexus).

But ever since I turned on HD Voice, the Caller ID does not work on the Lexus. I figured out that this is because the HD Voice (VoLTE) protocol, as implemented by Verizon, appends a "+1" to the incoming phone number. I don't know WHY Verizon does this, though I assume it has something to do with "internationalizing" my phone call so the county code is included.

Problem is, when I uploaded my contacts to Lexus, there were no "+1"'s appended to the phone numbers. As a result, there is never a match between the incoming number and what I have on my Lexus's Contacts.

So my choice is, turn on HD Voice, or keep it off so that I can still get Caller ID on the Lexus. But I LIKE HD Voice.

And yes, I know there is a workaround in that I can edit the contacts on my Lexus to have +1 appended. But who wants to do that for 500 contacts?

Does anyone out there, Verizon included, know a way around this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Rob from AZ

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HD Voice adds +1 to phone calls, disabling Caller ID on Lexus
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon does this because HD Voice is very similar to "SIP" VoIP Telephony. This is also why 10 digit dialing is required on Wi-Fi calling. SIP knows no boundaries, whereas the Public Switched Telephone Network addresses calls based on the country code, and determines how to dial based upon where your phone line / device is located.

It wouldn't hurt to stop by the dealer to see if there is a firmware update for your Headunit they could install, which might fix this.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RobinAZ, thanks for reaching out to us and I understand how important this feature is for you. HD Voice is a very important feature these days, at the moment the feature is working as designed on your device and can't be modified. However, it can change in the future and you can check our website for upcoming updates. http://vz.to/2bXGJgC Have you contacted Lexus to see if there's an option to edit the contacts all at one time on your car?

GersonG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RobinAZ

GersonG_VZW,

I checked with Lexus and there is no way to do a mass edit on the Contacts List within Lexus. So until Verizon stops sending the 1+ or at least gives the consumer the option to turn that part off, we will be stuck with no Caller Id for the Lexus models that use iPhones (I can't speak for non-Apple products).

Thanks for at least confirming that this IS an issue,

Rob

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon does this because HD Voice is very similar to "SIP" VoIP Telephony. This is also why 10 digit dialing is required on Wi-Fi calling. SIP knows no boundaries, whereas the Public Switched Telephone Network addresses calls based on the country code, and determines how to dial based upon where your phone line / device is located.

It wouldn't hurt to stop by the dealer to see if there is a firmware update for your Headunit they could install, which might fix this.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Update the contacts on your phone to all be +1.

it is a good idea to do this since this is the world wide standard and having numbers in that form works almost everywhere in the world without editing.  I have had all my numbers in my address book on the phone  like this for several years.  These upload to my car keeping the +1 and caller id works. 

As this is a standard there is nothing to really fix on Verizon's side. 

pherson
Champion - Level 1

It's not an issue. The rep said it's working as designed.

0 Likes