Re: Forced to disable VoLTE on iPhone 6 - Network Extender compatibility issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get you back on our network gfraigun. To resolve this, please go to Settings>Cellular>Enable LTE> Voice & Data should be selected.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
PeteBoston
Contributor - Level 1

My experience has not shown any difference with 8.1. I am in a location with a strong network extender signal, but also a part of my house where I have LTE / low strength.  When LTE Voice+Data is enabled, my call goes out over VoLTE instead of my Network Extender, when LTE Data Only is enabled, my call goes out my Network Extender.

0 Likes
SSchuermann

Extender has been replaced by Verizon and functions perfectly for phones except for iPhone 6.  When you dial #48 it says you are not under network extender coverage.  Please move closer to the extender and try your call again in 3 minutes.  Whether VoLTE is enabled or not seems to not make any difference.  It would be great if disabling it actually allowed me to connect to the extender as it seems to for others.

0 Likes
PeteBoston
Contributor - Level 1

Assuming your phone # for your iPhone 6 is actually in your whitelist, it should work with LTE mode set to Data Only. I do exactly what you are doing daily without a problem, it is only when my iPhone 6 is set to Voice + Data that the phone will not lock properly on the Network Extender.  Check your phone whitelist and if it's correct, try moving close to your Network Extender and give it a few minutes then try #48 again.

0 Likes
SSchuermann

Done all of that too and it will still not connect.  My daughter also has an iPhone 6 and same result with it.  We think that we have tried everything.  Still open for any and all suggestions......

0 Likes
Genenaples
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do have some updates and possible workarounds, although most of you know them. I did speak to a very qualified Tier 2 rep on Sunday, (Vzw Tier 2 reps are not created equal) they called me to try and fix an open ticket on my iPhone (Would not connect to LTE Voice and data, stayed in Extended) Kind of reverse situation to this but my Network Extender was preventing my phone from connecting to LTE Voice for the first time. Well as we know 4g voice not available yet on network extenders. By disabling my network extender Verizon reappeared and I was able to connect to LTE. Well now you know the rest of the story, now I cant connect to the network extender! So in speaking with this tier 2 tech, he did take ownership of the hardware/firmware problem of the network extenders, admitted they were behind the 8-ball on this but it will eventually get straightened out. He was not sure when, or how (Firmware or Hardware or iOs) but he said " hey we have to fix it, cant ignore it".  So all that said, some patience for Verizon and the extender manufacturers, but I have to say - With my iPhone 6 still having bugs in other areas after 8.1, can you blame Verizon or manufacturers to sit tight until a solid ios update is released? For now, I toggle LTE to Data when I get home and as soon as my phone shows extended i'm on the network extender. I then toggle back to LTE Voice & Data and my phone stays in extended until I leave the house or if I want to get back on the towers quick, I just toggle airplane mode and it dumps me out of the extender and back on the towers. A pain for now, but it works, at least for me. All areas have different signal strength and this may or may not work for you.

tynakker
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same behavior on droid turbo. Annoying. Needs to prefer extender if available.

0 Likes
lukester01
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue is not an Apple issue. I have a Droid Turbo and it has the exact same issue. The problem is Verizon's programming is pathetic, and they couldn't even put the simple logic into the phone that when it is near a network extender (there is a reason for having the network extender) to USE IT!

gatriguy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey Verizon,

When can we expect a fix?

I appreciate the post sharing the "work around."