Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,362 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Dropped calls in house while on WiFi
NorrinRaddical
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, I've been reading up on this but I haven't seen my exact scenario: Im in zip code 11747 with an iPhone 8.  CELLULAR service in my home (and in my entire area for that matter) has become horrible--in the house it bounces between 1 and 2 bars.  Dropped/poor quality calls aplenty. I initially thought that when the phone was on WiFi that calls wouldn't get dropped/bad reception, but that wasn't the case as, apparently, the way it works is that the phone will jump to LTE if the WiFi signal is less than optimal and/or there's at least one bar on LTE.  Forget about 3G--that's just a synonym for "No Service".

So, I then changed the setting on my iPhone to "WiFi Calling on this iPhone", which caused the "VZW Wi-Fi" wording to appear in the upper right corner, even though I was already on the WiFi--for some reason, you have to turn this on to "really" get WiFi or whatever VZW Wi-Fi is (as opposed to simple "Wi-Fi).  Or so I thought.

Now, despite being on WiFi AND "WiFi Calling on this iPhone" on, I STILL get dropped calls.  I notice that when I am in this configuration that the VZW Wi-Fi words will come and go, i.e., sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not--it fluctuates.  What I did notice is that when I have a dropped Wi-Fi call it's when the VZW Wi-Fi is NOT visible on my screen.

So then I put the iPhone in Airplane mode (while "WiFi Calling on this iPhone" is on) and no more dropped calls.

Great, right?  Not really--why do I have to go to the trouble of putting my phone into Airplane mode for "WiFi Calling on this iPhone" to work and not drop out?  I hate being in Airplane mode as I am unable to receive text messages from non iPhone users.

Anyone?

Labels (1)
Re: Dropped calls in house while on WiFi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to learn of the issues with dropped calls and poor call quality. I understand just how fundamental a good calling experience is and I'd be happy to troubleshoot this with you so we figure out a solution. We don't show any network issues in that area you mentioned so I'd like to gather some more information and provide some troubleshooting steps. Have you tried deactivating Wi-Fi calling and then re-enabling it? Is the operating system on your phone up to date? You can check by going to settings, general, software update. If an update is available, please have it applied. Also, please try restarting your phone if you haven't already. 

Ryan_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
NorrinRaddical
Enthusiast - Level 1

You asked:

1) "Have you tried deactivating Wi-Fi calling and then re-enabling it?" Yes, numerous times. 

When I'm on Wi-Fi calling AND NOT on Airplane mode, calls are dropped/garbled, although it's not as bad as just relying on cellular signal.  The only combo that works consistently is Wi-Fi calling ON and Airplane mode ON.

2) "Is the operating system on your phone up to date?"  Yes.

And this issue affects ALL cell phones (all iPhones) in the home.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional information. If the issue is affecting all devices in the home, this may be due to the building itself as certain building materials, or outside structure, or foliage can affect your devices signal. In order to determine the cause we would need to look into the network. Please reach out to us on Facebook, or Twitter for further assistance with this.

0 Likes
Noelbw
Enthusiast - Level 1

This problem of dropped calls using Verizon WiFi calling started only a week of so ago for both my wife's and my iPhones. I have an iPhone X and she has an iPhone SE. Previous to this, we had excellent reception using Verizon WiFi calling for several years. 
I suspect the problems may have arisen with recent iOS updates. Or perhaps an update on Verizon's own software? I would hope software engineers with Verizon would investigate.
Noel Waechter 

wadeo307
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use Wi-Fi Calling on my iPhone all the time (by having Wi-Fi Calling turned on, turning on Airplane Mode, turning on Wi-Fi, and then connecting to the Wi-Fi at my house), and I can still make and receive phone calls, as well as send and receive text messages from people who do not have iPhones. That being said, it is strange that your iPhone is behaving like this. I will send you a private message containing a video of me doing this.

wadeo307
Enthusiast - Level 2

Never mind that. It will not let me send you that video.

StephenSegari
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is happening for my wife and I as well, and it just started a few days ago.  It has to be an update either with iOS or Verizon, as we are both on different accounts, and it is happening on all devices.  I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max, she has an iPhone XS MAX.  Very frustrating.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is normal that WiFi Calling does not function when a cellular signal is present. WiFi Calling and Cellular technology are unable to hand off calls, as the technology is going through completely different channels. As wadeo307 mentioned, you must either be using cellular or WiFi only to make these calls successful. This is normal function, as all phones will prefer the cellular frequency when available and disconnect the WiFi call to change networks. Entering Airplane Mode and then starting your WiFi should not impact text messaging service, as this service also works through the WiFi Calling protocol. As long as you've successfully set up your WiFi Calling feature and used it in the past, you'll get all messages as long as settings are correct. It is not uncommon for updates to change a setting in a device to a new default. You may need to review settings to correct the problem. Please ensure that you WiFi Calling is turned on and that it is not needing to be re-initialized. You'll find setup information here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

EricW_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
That is definitely not the service experience we want to offer you. At Verizon, one of our main goals is to offer you a reliable service and great experience. We appreciate all the details you are giving us, they are crucial and give us a general idea of what is going on. However, we need a little more information. Do you recall recent changes, such as software updates, downloading new applications? Are there other Verizon users in your plan or in your area having the same issues?

MariaV_VZW

0 Likes