Does the free Call Filter actually do anything useful?
53dville
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I've tried the Call Filter a couple of times.  The first time, I missed the "free" button, it wanted to charge me after 10 days so I removed it.  A month later, still getting lots of fake ID spam calls, I re-installed it with the free option.

It doesn't seem to do anything.  Today I've received 4 fake calls already, yesterday 5, sometimes as late as 9 pm in the evening.  Health insurance, free hotel vacation, etc.  For several years I don't answer these call, had thousands in my block list.  Now I answer a select call or two per day and waste their time, hanging up when they transfer me to a closer or better still, answer their questions for 10 minutes, then ask "Why would I do business with someone using a fake number?"

I can't seem to report calls either.  Oh wait, nevermind!  I just found the obscure section in the How To "guide"  which takes SIX steps to report a call as SPAM!  SIX steps to add, search, and then add a FAKE number to the SPAM list, are you kidding Verizon ?   For 5+ calls per day?

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-use-call-filter/

Verizon:  If you're even half way serious about spam calls, then make it a one click selection.

0 Likes
Re: Does the free Call Filter actually do anything useful?
53dville
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh yeah, when I follow the SIX steps to "report" a spam call and add the number to Call Filter's spam list, sorry, you can't actually search and report a spam number unless you're a paid, premium user.

Worthless!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

quit answering them. You might get less calls.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

53dville,

Thank you for the feedback and I'm sorry you're continuing to receive these calls after using Call Filter. We strive to always offer you the best call block options we can. The free option of Call Filter offers Spam detection, Spam filter and the ability to report numbers. There's also a monthly $2.99 version of Call Filter that includes more. The following link will provide you with more information http://spr.ly/6603E9BA1, the reason why you're receiving these calls is that they're being completed by computer systems that can't be blocked or traced. This has been an issue experienced by landline and wireless carriers alike. We only have control of our networks and not the communication lines. That is controlled by the FCC, but it's not something that the FCC is able to eliminate. You can make a complaint with the FCC here: http://spr.ly/6605E9BAH can read more details on the FTC website under the Do Not Call section. Does this provide clarity?

JuanD_VZW

0 Likes
53dville
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried not answering for 2 years, didn't make any difference.

0 Likes
53dville
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why does the main page for Call Filter (https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/call-filter/ ) state that you can report numbers for the free version, but when you actually try to report a number, up pops a notice that this is a paid version feature.

So this means that Call Filter spam blocks are totally dependent on paid users bothering to report numbers.   

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

53dville,

Being able to manage spam calls is a big deal. We want to make sure you get the right information and you get to do everything you need with Call Filter. We greatly appreciate customers reporting numbers but that isn't the only factor that goes into creating spam blocks. We work hard to provide the most accurate information about how likely a call is to be spam so you can make the best decision about whether to answer that call. Because you are seeing contradictory information about whether this is included in the free version of Call Filter I have lifted this up to our leadership so we can make sure we present the correct information.

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
scififan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Um, I must ocrrect what you said in your post. This is what it says on the Verizon Wireless website:

"Enroll in Call Filter

You can enroll in Call Filter to get just the basics (spam detection, blocking and reporting) for free. To begin using the service, you can enroll from the Call Filter app, in the My Verizon app, or online in My Verizon."

When I go to the website, it has extensive instructions on how to use the paid version, but under the free version, it has about every other line with instructions on how to upgrade for the paid version. How about some instructions on how to use the features  you claim it provides above? I want to block!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You can find more information here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/call-filter-faqs/

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes