Re: Data usage in middle of the night
Weth
Legend

Which app is using the data?  You should be able to track that down easily. 

0 Likes
marshdl24

I am also having the same problem with all 5 of the Iphones on my plan.  I've turned off background app refresh, and wi-fi assist is off as well.  I've tried turning my cellular data off completely, but am missing texts from people which I found out I missed later when I checked my ipad (that was connected to wifi).  I spoke with a tech yesterday who told me the middle of the night charges were common with iphone and called toggling, and would switch to data when the wifi signal was weak.  Isn't that the reason we've turned off wifi assist??  she then told me that I should just turn off my cellular data.  She told me that if I switch the "send texts as SMS" that would take care of the problem of my texts not going through.  I did some testing today and while might outgoing texts were going through, I wasn't getting any of my incoming texts.  So I'm super frustrated.  This past month we went over our 16GB data plan for the first time ever... and we've been with verizon for over 10 years.  We're considering a switch to AT&T, but I'm not sure if it's an Iphone problem, a Verizon problem or what....

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Verizon is pulling something.  I've always defended the carrier, but either the computer is messed up, or Verizon is doing something they shouldn't. And it made the news...

Verizon Not Sending Data Usage Text Alerts Anymore, Leading To Overage Charges, Customers Say - Acro...

Unexplained data usages cause an alarming wake up call for a Virginia Beach Verizon customer | WTKR....

Better fix it...

0 Likes
djacksonmartin

I am having this same issue.  Contacted Verizon but they did not tell me that I am not the only one experiencing this issue.  I was offered an increase in my gigabytes allowed per month at a cost of course, but there was no indication of a problem.  Now I am seeing that this is not an isolated incident.  There is definitely something happening now that was not happening as recent as a week ago.  Data is getting used while the wifi jetpack and my computer is off which makes no sense at all.  I am not able to access any other broadband - it is not available where I live so I am forced into using the jetpack wifi for my home internet.  However, I have been able to stay within the 4gb allowed in my plan for the last year until this week.  Now it seems I am using gigabytes at the rate of 1.5 gb every hour!  What's the deal? 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Data isn't reported on your account at the moment used.  when we use a cellular device, it's like writing a check, the money isn't deducted till the check clears your account.

Since computers use a huge amount of data if you connect a wifi source, like a jet pack, you should expect a lot of data, and varying amounts of data too.  Not saying you aren't right, I'm just saying there is too much room for error and no meter like on phones and tablets.

Cell phones and tablets have updates which may change settings and cause data use to rise. 

However, when it makes the news, and people aren't getting text alerts, and data use has gone far beyond "a little high" on cell phones.  I can't find the posts a few weeks back where usage reports wer 1,000 times normal and what showed on the phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@marshdl24 We'd be hearbroken if you left. We do want to help you fix this so you can stay. When did this trouble with tthe texts and data begin? Have you made any changes to your iPhones (new software, new apps)? are you having trouble with your WIFI connection at home?

AdrienneP_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
marshdl24

I am not preparing to make any rash decisions, although I have been doing my homework on other cell providers.  I don't want to leave Verizon, there is great coverage and with 5 lines it'll be an inconvenience for sure.  I have no idea how long this has been going on.  I've never drilled down and checked my data usage details because this is the first time we've ever gone over our data.  When I checked a couple of weeks ago is when I noticed.  I recently did a software update, but after I noticed these middle of the night data usages.  After I noticed that I tried to turn my data off for a day.  I was able to make and receive phone calls, but I wasn't getting text messages.  I was told by a verizon tech that I had to turn on "send as SMS" but she also told me that the people texting me from Iphones also had to turn on that feature or I wouldn't get their text back.  I find it a little insane that I have to tell anyone that MIGHT text me that they have to turn that on.  She also told me that in order to not get dinged for what she referred to as toggling, that I had to turn on my cell data any time I was not using my phone.  Seriously?  So, I am more than a little frustrated about this situation. 

0 Likes
marshdl24

I am not preparing to make any rash decisions, although I have been doing my homework on other cell providers.  I don't want to leave Verizon, there is great coverage and with 5 lines it'll be an inconvenience for sure.  I have no idea how long this has been going on.  I've never drilled down and checked my data usage details because this is the first time we've ever gone over our data.  When I checked a couple of weeks ago is when I noticed.  I recently did a software update, but after I noticed these middle of the night data usages.  After I noticed that I tried to turn my data off for a day.  I was able to make and receive phone calls, but I wasn't getting text messages.  I was told by a verizon tech that I had to turn on "send as SMS" but she also told me that the people texting me from Iphones also had to turn on that feature or I wouldn't get their text back.  I find it a little insane that I have to tell anyone that MIGHT text me that they have to turn that on.  She also told me that in order to not get dinged for what she referred to as toggling, that I had to turn OFF my cell data any time I was not using my phone.  Seriously?  So, I am more than a little frustrated about this situation.

0 Likes
natashaa_vzw
Verizon Employee

Marshdl24, I don’t want you to be frustrated as help is here. Let’s work together in having understanding of how your data is being used. Based off the information given I can see you have an iPhone. Let’s work together in making this happen. On your device, go to Settings>Cellular>Used for Cellular Data. These are applications that use data. What are you showing to have used the most data?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

If you have concerns about data use, one of the first things to dump is iMessage.  It uses data exclusively.   If on wifi, it can send via wifi.  Otherwise it is using your data plan.  Every phone or text chips away at your allowance.  Unless every single person you know, and everyone they know, has an iPhone, they already have SMS on.  iMessage was created when data was unlimited, but text was not.   It has outlived its usefulness.  

If your concern is only the data reported at night, as the OP wrote, please do not be.  Data use is like writing a check.  The only register is on your phones, usage during the day doesn't show until hours later, usually when the phone is on wifi or off for the night.

Track your data.  Have each phone screen shot its data on the morning your bill cycle resets, then reset data statistics.  iPhones don't track data by your bill cycle like my android does.  (Apple fail)

Verizon totals should be very close to the totals on your phone.

Keep the check book analogy in mind.  "Uncleared data" may be reported the following month, although the carrier makes an effort to include all data from a bill period.  (This is the source of complaints of "data spike the day bill closes".   The alternate is starting a new month with data allowance already reduced from the previous months use.

LAST.  Even with 5 lines, the new plan with more data, rollover and no overages would be better than the expense and loss of coverage if you switch.  Check the New Verizon plan out

0 Likes