Re: Data usage in middle of the night
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

eagle9

Unexpected data usage on you Cantenna device is certainly not something we'd like to see happen for you! Let's work on getting this under control.

I'm glad to hear you have reached out for tech support already. It is certainly possible for other devices in your home to access the Cantenna for service. Major updates on devices like computers or TV boxes could definitely contribute to unwanted usage. To help put a stop to this, let's try changing the password used to connect with your Cantenna. This way, only devices you want to connect will be connecting going forward as they would need this new password.

All the steps you need to change this password can be found right here: http://vz.to/27G2rKN

Please let me know if you notice any changes with your usage after updating the password.

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Courtney430

I am also having the same issue, I contacted my WIFI company and no outages or anything reported? I am noticing a lot of my Usage is coming while I am home and on WIFI. If this is a ploy to make me go over my usage and spend more money on data, than i am switching ASAP!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to be able to not worry about your data. I'm here to help. We have a great tool to help classify your usage here: http://vz.to/1QMPsLG. JosephT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Memo59

We're experiencing the same issue - big spikes in data on an iPhone 6 at random hours when it's connected to home or work wi-fi network. We've been a Verizon customer for > 10 yrs. Never had a data issue even with a teenage daughter on the plan. Now in the past three months we're hitting and exceeding the data plan ceiling. Data spikes occurring at 5:30 am, 2:30 am while asleep and at 10 & 11:00 am while at work. Why would a phone (not a new phone, not a new line, not a new user) suddenly start consuming large volumes of data?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just curious, does your iPhone have the Verizon Wireless Backup Assistant Plus app installed?

0 Likes
Memo59

Yes it does. Is that the problem?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the iPhone behaves the same way that my Samsung Galaxy S4 does, the phone will try to backup contents via 4G/LTE.

My phone usually runs the backup between midnight and 6AM. I keep 4G/LTE service disabled and force everything to WiFi. But...when the backup runs. 4G/LTE is automatically switched on.

To make matters worse, my phone reports that it is losing the network connection during the process. When that happens, the phone will attempt another backup via 4G again a little later on.

What I do now is shut my phone off when going to bed to prevent the backup from running.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Both of our phones can track what processes are consuming data. Check the phone to see what it says. 🐵

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Memo59, hearing that you are receiving data spikes when connected to wifi does concern us. Let's see what is happening. I would like for you to check your device to ensure wifi assist isn't turned on. Wifi assist is a feature on iPhone's  that if the device isn't getting a strong connection on wifi, the phone will disconnect wifi and use your cellular data. Please go to settings>cellular>turn off wifi assist if it is on. Please reply back and let us know if it was turned on. 

KatrinaN_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Janem56
Enthusiast - Level 2

I likewise experienced high data notices in the middle of the night on one of the phones on my plan that made the account go over in data (something that hasn't happened in years). All of the phones are set to wifi at home and work and all the above suggestions were already in use. The phone using all the data actually shut off data when she found out and we continued to receive notice the next day. I spoke with numerous people in great detail about the problem and finally a rep named Greg at Verizon arranged a specific time to call her back directly and confirmed the time but never called her or I back. I will now have to take significant time to go through the whole process again to hopefully rectify the situation that coincidently seems to be happening right at the time Verizon is pushing their new rollover data plans..

0 Likes