Data usage in middle of the night
SJ4c0b5

My iphone 6 suddenly seems to be using dat in the middle of the night while connected to our home wifi. "fetch Data" is off, I make sure to close all web pages and apps before going to sleep, yet for the first time in years I get a notification that we have used 75% of our data with half of the billing cycle left.

Would appreciate any help on this matter.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data usage in middle of the night
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Unexpected data usage is always cause for concern, SJ4c0b5. We would like to learn more about what could be causing the usage to spike in the middle of the night. There is one setting we can check that will ensure the WiFi connection is only being used and not switching over to the data network. Can you please click on this link and check to see if this setting is turned on? Please click here: http://apple.co/1OXTbVr

ChrisM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SJ4c0b5

Not likely to be the problem since the Wi-Fi assist is turned off.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

DO you have it plugged in and charging?   How much data are we talking here?

0 Likes
BeeDeeCee
Enthusiast - Level 1

We had a similar experience last night--over 30G of cellular data in a 4 hour period while the iPhone 6 was plugged in and wireless was on and operating.  I spent more than two hours with Verizon today (2 different Tech Support people, 1 person at the Verizon store, and 2 levels of Apple support people--all on the same call, but mostly at different times, passing me from one to the next).  Everyone suggested all the standard causes of a surge of a few gigabytes (background App refresh; cellular assist; iCloud backup).  But, upon close inspection, none of those panned out (Apple confirmed there had been no iCloud back up, for example; the data used by cellular assist was only in kilobytes; and no Apps had data usage in high numbers). No one could explain how any of the theorized activities would add up to 30 Gs in 4 hours, or how the 1-2 Gs a month that that phone usually consumes were suddenly 15 times higher in a few hours.  That is a lot of data for a sleeping, non-gaming, non-video-watching 60 something.  

Least helpful suggestion?  Just turn off cellular data.  That is, just don't use the very service you have

purchased from Verizon.

Eventually, on the 5th person, I had the good fortune to connect with a very helpful Verizon tech support person who seemed to recognize this was a different kind of problem and agreed to delete the charges.  She really highlighted the difference between true customer service and the polite but ultimately unhelpful "appearance of service" that is all too common in these situations (and not just with Verizon).  She also wants us to reset the iPhone, which we will do, but--  while there was no acknowledgement of a wider problem, I firmly believe there is one--and I suspect I would not have been offered the release from charges if Verizon doesn't suspect as much as well (unless there's a customer service rule that if the customer hangs in for more than 2 hours, the customer wins).  So, I hope Verizon will step up and try to identify this problem of middle of the night data surges, and offer refunds to other customers who are being caught in this squeeze, without compelling them to take off more than 2 hours from work, and push and push and push to be heard.

I'll follow up if I learn anything more, or if the reversal of changes doesn't go as promised.     

turtleby2
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me. I've never used more than 1GB data (my kids use most of it) and I've just used almost 3GB in 3 weeks- the highest data usage is in the middle of the night. Will definitely be contacting Verizon after your post. Thanks.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for checking this for us. I want to be sure we uncover this data mystery. Is your iPhone 6 updated with the most current software? Any issues with your wifi connection?

JuanD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
yjml
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am new to the I phone world but I am also getting data usage when at home and in the middle of the night.

0 Likes
Mommah27
Enthusiast - Level 1

Was there a specific dept. that I could ask for? It's not a coincidence that we all have overages like this.

eagle9
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have for months been using extreme data usage (this month now over 70gb)which before was barely 10-15gb...And NOW may have found a possibility of the 'leak'... During the night and even when we are not around usage is high....
have a tech saying all the testing that our DirectTV could be the culprit....updating on receivers using our wifi signal....not At&t...because of 'priority' finding it thru satelite...
I am going to spend time talking with them AND using my phone as hot spot AND and my old usb modem I used before the cantenna was installed...
Its worth looking into...
ten year verizon customer we are...

0 Likes