Consistent Poor Service Despite 3/4 Bars - In Princeton NJ
wagodfrey3

For well over a year service in Princeton NJ has been poor. Data speeds are sluggish despite phones showing satisfactory signal strength. Data is sluggish, mphone to mphone fidelity is poor. This am it took over 30 minutes to send a 1.2Mb photo from phone to email. I have reached end of the road with the service. I either find a means to boost speed or have to switch.

Questions. (1) Why with strong signal stregth would data rates be sluggish. (2) What if anything can be done to improve signal (3) Anyone else in Princeton area with similar problems and if yes what did you do.

Technical. I went through V troubleshooting. No changes. Turned wi-fi off, rebooted phone etc. Its not the phone its V.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Consistent Poor Service Despite 3/4 Bars - In Princeton NJ
HURLEY9723

Ever since last weekend I've been having the same issues in Bridgewater. Constantly getting disconnected from data service even with 3-4 bars. I listen to Twitch every time i drive to work in the morning and i constantly get disconnected from it. I ran ping tests and i can see very frequent timeouts causing slow web browser load times. My wife is even having the same issue. Something is going on.

0 Likes
senator48

Having similar issues in Morris County. 3-4 bars on an iPhone 8 running latest iOS. Noticed a major drop in connection reliability with last carrier settings release from VZW (29.2) released within the last 1-2 weeks. Web pages and updates in apps take forever to load and often time out. VZW may have a bug or other issue in latest carrier settings. When I'm home on WiFi I have absolutely zero of these problems so it's not the device or iOS 11.1.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

senator48, We're committed to providing the best connections for your phone. It's a bummer to hear about your slow data speeds. Is anyone else affected there? Does it improve elsewhere?

JoelR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

For those Questions- (1) Why with strong signal stregth would data rates be sluggish?

(A) The signal bars on the phone indicate the strength of the connection between your device and the cell tower you're connected to, it doesn't indicate the speed of the data transfer rate available. The data transfer speed is determined by the capacity & availability of the internet connection from the cell tower. (For example- If a phone has 4 bars of signal strength, and is physically located 10 miles from a cell tower that connects to the internet via a copper T1 line and 20 people are also connected to the same tower and in active data sessions the speeds experienced would be lower than if the phone had 2 bars of signal strength and was alternatively physically located 20 miles from a cell tower that connects to the internet via a fiber optic T3 line that had 10 people in active data sessions).

(2) What if anything can be done to improve signal?

(A) Other than geographically moving closer to the cell tower a cell antenna booster can pull in more signal to your location, but that wouldn't improve data transfer rates since that's determined by the tower's type of access point connection to the internet and capacity available.

(3) Anyone else in Princeton area with similar problems and if yes what did you do?

(A) Best suggestions to improve the data connection speeds you're experiencing would be to ensure you're using an up to date device that can access all 4GLTE network frequencies used by Verizon, and call into technical support to have them submit a network service trouble ticket with the details of your issue so they could let you know of any capacity/connection issues in the area that is affecting you, as well as any potential plans to improve the network there.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wagodfrey3, we definitely don't want you to feel as though we have overlooked your concerns. We want to work on this together to resolve things. Do you normally see slower speeds at a certain time of day? Does this happen in and outdoors?

MarcusS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
princetonsquirrel

Poor service continues in Princeton, NJ

Today, Quarry Park at the end of Spruce Street in town, under open sky.  Using iPhone 6s.

Calls dropped multiple times.  Quality of service was unstable while standing still.  Speech sounded mumbled.

Indoors in this neighborhood, forget it.  Constant dropped calls all the time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are sorry to read that you are having trouble with your calls while in Quarry Park. Reliable service is a must and we are here to help. Do you notice this only happens in this area? What happens when you try to text or use data? 

RogelioZ_VZW

0 Likes