Cannot activate Apple Watch LTE with current plan. Resolution?
geneous
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an older grandfathered Verizon plan. It was nowhere advertised that I would not be able to use the LTE Apple Watch with it, which I received yesterday. After several hours on the phone with about 5 different people at Verizon, I was told that numbershare would not work with my watch. I was not provided an alternative solution. Can someone help?

Labels (1)
Re: Cannot activate Apple Watch LTE with current plan. Resolution?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is an activation issue with the watch and Apple is working on it. However the grandfathered plan might also be a factor in your situation.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JEMONER

i spent several hours with verizon tech support and apple support and nothing can be done. I have the new unlimited plan and they are having problems. the answer i got was we have a ticket in place and it will activate on its own.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LINBUR3, I understand how upsetting that it is to have your new watch not being able to be activated. My goal is to make sure that we do everything we can to help out. I've sent you a Private Message. Can you please respond back to that message for me.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Geneous, I know that I would be anxious to have such an amazing device activated. When looking at your watch, is there a small red dot on the digital crown?

LorenB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
geneous
Enthusiast - Level 2

LorenB,

Thanks so much for reaching out. I've chatted with AyaniB_VZW via PM and she's indicated that I cannot activate my apple watch (yes, with a red dot on the crown) unless I move to a different phone plan.

I am currently on an older Nationwide plan that I intend to keep. Though my data usage is usually about 22gb, I do occasionally travel and need to use my phone to tether for large amount of data, which would be unaffordable for me to use unless I maintain my current plan.

This is all very sad because I had no indication that it would be impossible to use the apple watch with my plan. All the marketing materials seemed to indicate that you just buy your watch and activate. But alas, this is a big caveat for me.

If it were possible to put my watch on a separate plan, without numbershare, I'd be interested in doing so, but AyaniB_VZW has indicated that this is not possible. If you have any other options for me, I'd be much obliged.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Geneous, though I would love to say otherwise, this information is correct. While the wi-fi only version could be used in the same manner as previous versions, to have that on the go ability, you would need that number share.

LorenB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MICCHR5

I called before ordering this because I tried ordering and it wanted me to change plans, I have to separate accounts and asked if I ordered it on a line on my sub account could I switch it to a number on primary account once I received it and not have to change my plan and was told yes I can, I also just called today asking the same questions and was told yes and sent an 800 number to call when ready. So these Verizon reps better be telling the truth.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

It is typical for new devices to NOT work with old plans. Verizon is more than able to determine what plans can go with which devices. It is their network and they can run it whichever way they choose. It has never been published in the past when calling/data plans were phased out and they weren't allowing newer devices to connect on these plans.

The biggest benefit of the LTE watch is that it can make calls without your phone being around. Do you see that happening that often that you can't get by with the non-LTE version?

0 Likes
pjfla

Almost a full week later, still unable to activate cellular.  Verizon is silent too...

0 Likes