Can I automatically disable hotspots when wi-fi is available?
CaptEdKenway

We just upgraded from the 4s to the 6s+. With the 4s, if my son connected his iPad using my hotspot, as soon as we got home and had wifi my 4s would automatically disconnect the ipad from the hotspot.

but now with the 6s+ that doesn't happen, so the iPad continues to pull off my hotspot and suck my data. We didn't realize this at first until we wondered why all of a sudden we were using up 15gigs of data when before we were average around 6. So each time i have to manually turn the hotspot off.

Is there a way to get it to do this automatically, like it did with the 4s?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: automatically disable hotspot when wifi available
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
CaptEdKenway,

We definitely do not want your iPad eating up all of your data. There are no settings in the iPhone that will automatically change WiFi connections for you. The one thing I would recommend checking out is the WiFi assist feature. This is new for the iPhone. If it is on, it will automatically change your device from WiFi to cell data if the WiFi signal is weaker than the cell signal. You may check if yours is on under Settings->Cellular->WiFi Assist (towards the bottom).I would recommend having that turned off.

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: automatically disable hotspot when wifi available
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
CaptEdKenway,

We definitely do not want your iPad eating up all of your data. There are no settings in the iPhone that will automatically change WiFi connections for you. The one thing I would recommend checking out is the WiFi assist feature. This is new for the iPhone. If it is on, it will automatically change your device from WiFi to cell data if the WiFi signal is weaker than the cell signal. You may check if yours is on under Settings->Cellular->WiFi Assist (towards the bottom).I would recommend having that turned off.

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes