Highlighted

Are messages sent through Facebook Messenger texts?

I've been using Facebook messenger for several months, and never had this issue, but have almost blown through my limited texting allowance this month, and think it's because Facebook Messenger messages are being counted in the text quota.  I almost never send/receive picture/video texts, and this month shows a bunch - I'm thinking the icons in Facebook Messenger are being counted that way.  Any ideas or confirmation?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Facebook Messenger - are these classed as text messages?

Leader

If your messages come into the green message icon then they are texts. If you have FB messenger or receive your messages from the FB app then they are not texts. If you have registered your mobile number with FB you may be receiving text notifications about almost anything that applies to your FB count or things you are tagged in or have commented on. This you must go to FB on your computer to disable.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

I'm not sure, JimCKy.  I've always thought that Facebook Messages, like other messaging apps, use data, not texts.  I use the Facebook Messaging, but we also have unlimited texting on all our lines, so I really don't pay attention to our text count, except to note that the numbers are high and I'm glad we are on unlimited!!

What is the phone number that is being texted or texts received from?  Is it a known phone number or a shortcode?  32665 is used for FBOOK, for texting status updates and leaving comments via text messaging if you don't use the FB app.  But you are using the Messaging (Facebook Messenger) app .... I would think it would use data.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

If your messages come into the green message icon then they are texts. If you have FB messenger or receive your messages from the FB app then they are not texts. If you have registered your mobile number with FB you may be receiving text notifications about almost anything that applies to your FB count or things you are tagged in or have commented on. This you must go to FB on your computer to disable.

View solution in original post

0 Likes