Apple watch different number than phone
ninjaspywizard
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to buy my 13 year old an apple watch to use as a phone. He does not have a phone though so i was wondering if I could set the apple watch up with my phone on my Verizon account, but set it up with a different phone number.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Apple watch different number than phone
mama23dogs
Legend

ninjaspywizard

you are asking if the watch can be used as a stand alone device.  It was not designed so, the answer is no.

https://www.imore.com/apple-watch-3-faq

Apple has no interest in eliminating its phone from the equation.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes, the watch would have its own phone number, but it would also share all of the alerts, calls and messages with your phone if you linked it to that

0 Likes
ninjaspywizard
Enthusiast - Level 2

So the Apple Watch would get all the phone notifications, and the calls and messages, but it could also have a different phone number that also receives separate messages?

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes

0 Likes
ninjaspywizard
Enthusiast - Level 2

What if I set it up with a phone and then deactivate the phone? Could I then just use that phone to control all the settings for the Apple Watch and use a different phone?

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

If the iPhone linked to the Apple watch is deactivated/suspended the Watch would cease to connect independently to the wireless network,   it could still show the current time, or use apps not requiring a connection such as games but calls/messages/updates would not work

0 Likes
ninjaspywizard
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmm, okay that makes sense

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The Apple watch is  great device and we do want to make sure that you have all the details, ninjaspywizard.  The Apple watch uses NumberShare to link your iPhone with the watch for calls and texts.  The watch will technically have it’s own line and number, but will not be able  to receive text messages on that line.  It can only receive messages from the main NumberShare line.  Here is a link with some FAQs regarding how this works: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/numbershare-faqs/.

Adam_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ninjaspywizard
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a way to opt out of numbershare so it could receive separate messages?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question Ninjaspywizard. I want to provide the steps for you to turn off the NumberShare option on your device. Please click the following link to complete: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-213055/ . Does this provide clarity? 

Veronica_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes