Apple Watch series 5 activation
greconcmg
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had to have Apple replace my first series 5 watch and when I tried activating the replacement to my cell plan it stated device  not compatable so I contacted VW support over a week ago and was told the IMEI # wasn't in their database and had to be added so they took all the information and said it woudl be added.  So a week later I still can't activate my watch and have not heard anything from VW. One of the techs asked me for the sim # and when I told him there was none he said look at the sim card, obviousely he doesn't know much about apple since the watch has a esim which is assigned to the watch when activated by Verizon, I confirmed this with Apple support.  Totally frustrated with VW Support and ready to dump all my verizon services.  

Maybe someone from tech support will read this and have an intelligent answer!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Apple Watch series 5 activation
greconcmg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi don't give up! Mine finally got resolved you have to tell Verizon that the IMEI needs to be added to their database.  Any one who tells you it is not compatable does not know what they are talking about, watches are not carrier specfic.

I had a Apple support person who actually called VW and told them that the Apple Engineers said to have the IMEI # added to the Verizon database.  The first thing you need to do is whoever you start talking to at VW will not be able to help they will need to pass you off to a senior support person - there is some form they have to fill out that is sent to their engineers who add the IMEI #.  Don't let them tell you it takes days, it doesn't it only takes 24 to 48 hours.  If you get nowhere with VW call Apple Support again you need a senior support person and they will actually call VW while you are on the phone and talk to them. 

The solution is simple VW needs to add your IMEI# to their database.  Don't  give up, it took me weeks before I actually got a VW person who submitted the correct form for my IMEI to get added, keep being persistant. 

Also if you already had a watch and you were replacing it have them remove that phone # and ask for creidt for the activation and the $10 monthly service cost.  I did that since my watch was not able to work on VW and when the IMEI # issue was resolved i just called and told them that I should have a credit for the activation and they took it off my bill.

I know it is frustrating but hang in there it can be resolved with the right VW support person, don't use chat they are low tier support and can't do anything.  Call and the support person will try a few things and then they should hand you off to a senior support person - this is the one you need to have the IMEI# added.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

greconcmg,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with activating your Apple Watch. It's important that we get to the bottom of this. I have sent you a Private Note and I'll be able to further assist you. 

JuanD_VZW

0 Likes
greconcmg
Enthusiast - Level 2

VW support useless I replied to the private message and still no help - guess its time to switch carriers - have waited 10 days to get this sorted out with promises of call back and watch IMEI being added to database.  Apple told me it is strictly a Verizon ssue!!

cndlynch

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue with my Apple Watch 5 bought at the Apple store. When I tried to add it to my Verizon account, the IMEI does pull up my watch, but I couldn't get the watch added. The person in chat told me that my watch is not "compatible" with Verizon and that I must have bought a watch compatible with a different network. New...from the Apple store...I'm pretty sure that's not right! Of course it's too late to call Verizon now, so I'll have to spend my day tomorrow trying to get it worked out...UGH!!

0 Likes
greconcmg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi don't give up! Mine finally got resolved you have to tell Verizon that the IMEI needs to be added to their database.  Any one who tells you it is not compatable does not know what they are talking about, watches are not carrier specfic.

I had a Apple support person who actually called VW and told them that the Apple Engineers said to have the IMEI # added to the Verizon database.  The first thing you need to do is whoever you start talking to at VW will not be able to help they will need to pass you off to a senior support person - there is some form they have to fill out that is sent to their engineers who add the IMEI #.  Don't let them tell you it takes days, it doesn't it only takes 24 to 48 hours.  If you get nowhere with VW call Apple Support again you need a senior support person and they will actually call VW while you are on the phone and talk to them. 

The solution is simple VW needs to add your IMEI# to their database.  Don't  give up, it took me weeks before I actually got a VW person who submitted the correct form for my IMEI to get added, keep being persistant. 

Also if you already had a watch and you were replacing it have them remove that phone # and ask for creidt for the activation and the $10 monthly service cost.  I did that since my watch was not able to work on VW and when the IMEI # issue was resolved i just called and told them that I should have a credit for the activation and they took it off my bill.

I know it is frustrating but hang in there it can be resolved with the right VW support person, don't use chat they are low tier support and can't do anything.  Call and the support person will try a few things and then they should hand you off to a senior support person - this is the one you need to have the IMEI# added.

Good luck!

greconcmg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good luck!

0 Likes
cndlynch

Thank you so much!! I will work it this afternoon, but can't believe they're making it this hard to give them money!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's our priority that your Apple Watch is properly activated on your account and is in sync with your iPhone. The following link will guide you through this process. Please follow each of these steps. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-215347/
Also, the following link will provide you with additional information about this device. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/apple-watch-series-5/troubleshooting/

GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
pgallinson

Apple replaced my apple watch that was on my plan and I have been unable to activate the replacement due to the 911 address verification not recognizing my home address (have lived here since 1990) was on hold with verizon for 4 hours yesterday and never got through to a live person. Apparently need current listed watch's IMEI removed and new one substituted and need 911 address fixed. my home address per USPS is 1806 Old Joppa Road Kingsville, MD 21087 which is what I type in. the nine digit zip is not able to be typed into your system mine is 21087-1057 new

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, pgallinson. Being able to get your replacement Apple Watch activated is important. Please remember this is a community forum. Please remove any personal information from your previous message. We'd like to assist further with the activation. I've sent you a Private Note. Please respond to that message.  KevinR_VZW

0 Likes