3 movies takes 1G? Where's that plan??
bridgesx

All Verizon ads state you can stream 3 movies and only use 1G!  Where can I switch to that one?  It takes 3 G's to stream ONE movie!  Would love to have the 3 movies for 1G plan!  Eating up 3 G's for each movie is killing me!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 3 movies takes 1G? Where's that plan??
rcschnoor
Legend

The data calculator has no way to tell if you are using SD video or HD video. They simply state if you are streaming via 4G or 3G. HD video on 4G will use more than what the data calculator says. It is obviously using SD as the video source.

From Verizon's webpage:

How much data does a 3G/4G Smartphone use?

• Email (Text Only) = 10 KB
  • Web Access (Internet and Intranet) = 400 KB
  • Audio Streaming = 60 MB/hr
  • Audio Track Download (3 1/2 min at 192 kbps) = 7 MB
  • 4G Video Streaming (including NFL Mobile) = 350 MB/hr
  • 3G Video Streaming
    • General = 250 MB/hr
    • NFL Mobile = 125 MB/hr

From Netflix's webpage:

Adjust your data usage settings

Adjusting the data usage settings for your account is the easiest way to reduce the amount of bandwidth used while watching Netflix. There are four data usage settings to choose from. Each estimate below is per stream:

• Low (0.3 GB per hour)
  • Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
  • High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)

SO looking at the 2 webpages, Verizon is obviously using LOW as the video quality for their calculations.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The data usage tool seems well out of date with current data usage or Verizon uses the lowest possible quality when providing the numbers. For example, Netflix, at lowest qualiity will use 0.3 GB per hour, but in HD, which is often what the movie will default to on LTE, it uses 3 GB per hour.

0 Likes
bridgesx

Thanks for responding. I normally watch Amazon Prime (free) movies and the

only way you can watch HD (which I don't care about) is to PAY (which I

don't care to).

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: 3 movies takes 1G?  Where's that plan??
Weth
Legend

I Get HD movies included with my prime subscription?

Not applicable

While I admit the data calculator is off if you're talking about on a phone it's closer to the truth than if you're using hotspot/tether. Netflix will use up to 3 GB an hour hotspot/tether about 750 MB per hour on my phone.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

HD movies are included with my Amazon Prime membership, too.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

The data calculator has no way to tell if you are using SD video or HD video. They simply state if you are streaming via 4G or 3G. HD video on 4G will use more than what the data calculator says. It is obviously using SD as the video source.

From Verizon's webpage:

How much data does a 3G/4G Smartphone use?

• Email (Text Only) = 10 KB
  • Web Access (Internet and Intranet) = 400 KB
  • Audio Streaming = 60 MB/hr
  • Audio Track Download (3 1/2 min at 192 kbps) = 7 MB
  • 4G Video Streaming (including NFL Mobile) = 350 MB/hr
  • 3G Video Streaming
    • General = 250 MB/hr
    • NFL Mobile = 125 MB/hr

From Netflix's webpage:

Adjust your data usage settings

Adjusting the data usage settings for your account is the easiest way to reduce the amount of bandwidth used while watching Netflix. There are four data usage settings to choose from. Each estimate below is per stream:

• Low (0.3 GB per hour)
  • Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
  • High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)

SO looking at the 2 webpages, Verizon is obviously using LOW as the video quality for their calculations.Smiley Happy

0 Likes