Re: when can we expect OS updates for stagefright vulnerability?
carol_vzw
Verizon Employee

We appreciate Google’s leadership in addressing the potential issue with security of the Android operating system. Our customers deserve the very best protection possible, so we’ll continue working with Google and handset makers to ensure that any security patches are available as soon as they’re fully tested and approved.

justjames
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Carol. Can you give us an ETA please?

0 Likes
carseller0822
Contributor - Level 3

could you please answer the question? WHEN CAN WE EXPECT OS UPDATES FOR STAGEFRIGHT VULNERABILITY?

This isn't some minor update that you can drag your feet on. This is serious and it would be nice to know if VZW is giving it the attention it deserves

0 Likes
thebrownhaus
Enthusiast - Level 1
recDNA
Enthusiast - Level 3

ATT, Sprint, and tMobile have ALREADY patched this vulnerability in their Samsung phones! I called VZW today and tech support got flummoxed and transferred me to Samsung. Samsung guy acted like he never heard of any google update to pass along. IT HAS ALREADY BEEN PASSED ALONG AS UPDATE FROM EVERY MAJOR CARRIER EXCEPT VERIZON!  Come on VZW. We pay the MOST $. How about the courtesy of an extimate of when ota is coming out? How about an email telling us best ways to avoid this virus? How about an app to check for and if needed get rid of the virus? How about the courtesy of an answer?

TedETGbiz2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have repeatedly called a Verizon tech guy who has helped me in the past; no response for over a week.  I am disabling pre-fetching MMS messages on all our phones, but the hack can still happen until the patch is out.

Is this your incentive to root our phones, VWZ??

0 Likes
TedETGbiz2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, there are several apps to check for the vulnerability in the Google Play store.  I'm using this one:

Stagefright Detector - Android Apps on Google Play

0 Likes
Doing_work_son
Contributor - Level 1

check your S5 for an OTA today. My Note 4 just got the stagefright exploit patch this morning and I heard the Note Edge and S5 were also receiving it today as well.

0 Likes
recDNA
Enthusiast - Level 3

How about the note 3?

On Aug 10, 2015 3:10 PM, "Doing_work_son" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
Doing_work_son
Contributor - Level 1

good question bro, I haven't heard anything about the Note 3 stagefright update yet, but I'd imagine it will be soon! Samsung is really getting this patch pushed out before other OEM's!

0 Likes