Re: unable to make/take calls since Eris 2.1 upgrade
thenestor

There are a ton of people having the same exact problem here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/66298-phone-useless-when-phone-goes-silent-multiple-times-we...

1. It appears after upgrading to Android 2.1.

2. It can appear in phones using the OTA update, a rooted ROM, or a leaked upgrade.

3. Not all phones are affected, so it might be a hardware problem.  (Some phones will NEVER experience this bug, while some get it regularly.)

4. Hard reset does not solve it; the problem always comes back in phones that are affected.

5. Even with NO THIRD-PARTY APPS installed, the bug still shows up eventually on affected phones.

6. Temporary solution is a reboot or soft reset (battery pull), but the bug will come back.

7. The only known "permanent" solution is a warranty replacement.

The core problem is that the audio drivers get stuck in an endless loop.  No one knows what causes that.  This is what shows up in the debugging log:

WARN/AudioTrack(57): obtainBuffer timed out (is the CPU pegged?) 0x8eb58 user=00001468, server=00000000
0 Likes
gnemelf

so more or less they screwed everyone.. I LOVE HOW VERIZON CANT EVEN SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES...

0 Likes
thenestor

Well, not just Verizon.  It's happening to the HTC Hero on Sprint as well.  So it's really HTC's problem.

0 Likes
jwbaker

Same problem with my Eris. 

Receive a call - can hear

then followed by making a call - can't hear (can't hear ring or other party). Also, at the beginning of the call, the phone briefly vibrates and the mute button icon enables/disables. Pressing the mute button again doesn't solve this.

I have to shut off the phone then restart it

Note, this didn't happen until a few days after upgrading to 2.1, so I may try the system restore.

0 Likes
janimal

I've had the same problems with this since the upgrade. One very Inconvenient way around it is to put your phone in Speaker phone mode when you can't hear the other caller you can at least complete the call.  (I'm typing this while on hold waiting for technical support).

0 Likes
mav00761380

It doesn't matter if you get it swapped. I did and I have only had the new one 2 days and its bad. Its worse than the original one. The problems still persist. Its not a device issue its the OS. It was not ready to be released yet.

0 Likes
dlroach

Same problems here, people can hear me but I can't hear them during a call. Had a Bluetooth issue after the update as well, brought it in to Verizon and they did the hard reset.  Fixed the Bluetooth issue, but the phone sound or lack there of is still  a problem.  That's kind of an important part of having a phone, being able to actually make a call and hear the person on the other end!!  Having to turn phone off and on 3-4 times a day is not cool!!  So now what do we do!!???   

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

dlroach wrote:

So now what do we do!!???   

Call HTC Tech support!!! I called them and they claimed they hadn't heard of the "no sounds" issue, but they would document my complaint in case they got any more like it. I'd post the phone number here, but apparently it violates forum rules. But you can call Verizon and they'll be happy to give you HTC's number. We're never going to get this fixed if people don't start calling the ones who have to actually fix it.
0 Likes
LooseCannon

Quite a ridiculous problem we're all having. Sort of defeating the purpose of having a phone if it can't be used for phone calls.
This has only happened to me a handful of times but none the less it is extremely aggravating.

Verizon & HTC, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FIX THE ISSUE!

0 Likes
ggraeff

Probably not new news to anyone with an Eris, but this problem seems to have finally been fixed.  I received the OTA update this morning ,and then tested the problem and I can't reproduce it anymore.  So, keeping my fingers crossed, but I think this one if finally behind us.

Here's the verison info since the update:

Baseband version:

Kernel version:

2.6.29.8a03cb9a

htc-kernel@and18-2#1

Build number:

2.37.605.4 CL185970 release-keys

Software number:

0 Likes