trying to use hangouts on
Frustrated5492

Trying to use hangouts on gpad but get message to turn on SMS.  How do I do this.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: trying to use hangouts on
Snn5
Legend

You dont have to use Hangouts for SMS.

1. Open Hangouts on your Android device.
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Touch SMS.
  4. Touch SMS Disabled to switch the setting to SMS Enabled.

IDK that you can send SMS from the tablet unless it has a phone number attached to it.  So a WiFi only tablet may not work. You can send SMS from a Google Voice number.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You dont have to use Hangouts for SMS.

1. Open Hangouts on your Android device.
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Touch SMS.
  4. Touch SMS Disabled to switch the setting to SMS Enabled.

IDK that you can send SMS from the tablet unless it has a phone number attached to it.  So a WiFi only tablet may not work. You can send SMS from a Google Voice number.

0 Likes
Frustrated5492

I do have a 4g tablet with number.  But sms does not show up under settings.  Android version 4.4.2 software installed.  I am baffled.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

OK, so the tablet has a phone number and the ability to send texts via Verizon's cellular voice network just like a phone?  If Hangouts is updated and the above is true, I'm not sure why the tablet is having this issue.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The LG G pad tablet is a data only device and can't access the SMS portion of the network. The phone number assigned to the device is only used as a means to identify the line of service associated with the device.

The only tablet that I'm aware of sending and receiving SMS was the original Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes