Re: the ability to remove crap apps
infiltwb

Task killer will annihilate your battery, and cause more problems than it will solve. Verizon techs who tell you to put that on your phone have no clue what they are talking about, and do NOT understand how android works. Android is very efficient at managing its own memory, especially Froyo(2.2).

As far as the bloatware, there are ways to remove it, hwoever they will void your warranty.

Verizon and motorola need to recognize that Android is OPEN SOURCE, meaning its meant to be tweaked and played with by the end user.

They need to dump the motoblur(motorola), sense ui(htc) and other bloatware(amazon mp3, twitter, etc) and give us phones w/ vanilla android and allow us to customize it as we see fit. That was what was so great about the droid. Straight android, very little bloatware and other useless crap when it came out, now their stuffing the bloatware onto the d1 as well.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

infiltwb wrote:

Task killer will annihilate your battery, and cause more problems than it will solve. Verizon techs who tell you to put that on your phone have no clue what they are talking about, and do NOT understand how android works. Android is very efficient at managing its own memory, especially Froyo(2.2).

As far as the bloatware, there are ways to remove it, hwoever they will void your warranty.

Verizon and motorola need to recognize that Android is OPEN SOURCE, meaning its meant to be tweaked and played with by the end user.

They need to dump the motoblur(motorola), sense ui(htc) and other bloatware(amazon mp3, twitter, etc) and give us phones w/ vanilla android and allow us to customize it as we see fit. That was what was so great about the droid. Straight android, very little bloatware and other useless crap when it came out, now their stuffing the bloatware onto the d1 as well.

Talk to Google...  Android is not 100% OPEN SOURCE.  If you don't believe it talk to the developers like Cyanogen and his group of people bringing you custom roms.  They have received C&D's from Google over code.

Some of the software you mentioned in your post isn't from Motorola, nor Verizon.  Amazon MP3, Twitter, Facebook is straight up from GOOGLE.  You can't get no Vanilla Android not even Nexus One.  The Closest Vanilla Android you can get is Cyanogenmod custom roms without the Google Addon, and even then he even has his teams software on it.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

PiperCrab wrote:

I have to both agree and disagree with the TC. Yes they are going to be apps installed that you will not use even if a gun is put to your head, and it would be nice to remove them. On the other hand though, who cares? It's not as though having them will make your phone any less cool than it is.

I have an iTouch and it has apps on it I don't use and never will. So what do I do? I ignore them plain and simple. I still enjoy my iTouch and do whatever I please with it as though the preinstalls weren't there to begin with.

If you can make folders on your Droid like you can with an iTouch, then just make a folder entitled "Crap" and put all the apps you detest in there and leave them be.

I am no Droid-pert (Droid expert) but I do read the forums alot so that when I get my own I will be a pro (lol). I have seen many people say that any kind of task killer is bad (even on Motorola's forum---yes I frequent there as well as DroidxForums.net) and besides being bad, it aslo seems to be useless since the killed apps restart themselves later anyway. It's like trying to out a fire with a fan.

I don't have an iTouch,but you make it sound like you cannot uninstall the preloaded apps that come on the iTouch. That is true right? I always thought you could.

0 Likes
PiperCrab
Contributor - Level 1

I just tried again and they can't be removed. I don't use the stock app (as in wall street stocks) and it cannot be removed. However, it doesn't bother me either that it's there. I just go on about my business as though I never even had it.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Much like all those useless channels on cable we pay for but never watch. We are used to just going to what we want and ignore the rest.

0 Likes