the ability to remove crap apps
moonwick

I have a motorola droid, that just updated to 2.2 a few days ago, 1st thing that happened, activesync stopped working, but tech support helped me out on that and it's working perfectly again.  the main thing i would like to complain about is VZW putting crap applications on my phone without the ability to remove them.  I.E. Twitter came with this latest update,  i don't want it, i don't like it, and i wont use it. but i can't remove it,  thats {word filter avoidance} some of you are going to say, just ignore it, or we then don't use it.  and thats what i'm going to do, but the fact remains, that even though it's small, it is still eating a chunk of my Card space, and is continually running until i use task killer to kill it, (which of course it starts itself up again a few hours later), so it's using system resources. 

I don't care is  VZW wants to push {word filter avoidance} apps like this to phones during updates, but at least give us the ability to remove them if we don't want them.  Seriously, i pay well over 100.00 a month for there service and whatnot, and they still think they know what "needs" to be on my phone?  

WAKE UP VZW and give us the option to uninstall the crap apps you put on it.

Done ranting now.   have a great day

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: the ability to remove crap apps
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

A) Get rid of the task killer.  You're wasting resources with something that isn't needed. 

B) You can't remove it on a stock phone. Even if you could, you would see that there is absolutely no noticeable difference in performance.  Eventhough you see it running, it really isn't doing anything unless you actually have it set up and checking twitter.

C) It's Verizon's software and their right to add all the bloat they want regardless of how much anyone pays.

0 Likes
moonwick

your remarks are besides the entire point i was making,  sure they can put all the crap they want on it, but they do NOT have the RIGHTS to do so, no where in my contract that i signed does it  say they will add unremoveable apps to the device as they see fit. i bought this phone it is mine lock stock and barrell technically anything they do outside of the contract i signed and do not authorize is a violation of my rights as an individual.

task killer is a very valuable app, if you don't use it i feel sorry for you, as all the bloatware VZW has put on the phones, comes on when it wants, and resides in the devices memory, so yes it does use system resources,  If i kill all the tasks my battery will last 2 days from full to empty if i do not, i'm lucky if it lasts 3/4 of a day.   so your wrong on all points, thanks for playing try again.

All i'm saying is if they put it on there that is fine,  just give me the option to remove the crap i don't want.

if you can't see that point, then maybe you need to actually use your phone, instead of playing with it as a toy.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Directly from Verizon's Customer Agreement.

"Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device."

As for the task killer argument, it's obviously a moot point as you've already made up your mind.  I'd suggest googling a little and understanding how the Android OS actually works before making baseless claims. Not to mention killing everything defeats the purpose of having a data centric device but whatever.    Other than appearing in the app drawer and displaying in memory, it has virtually no impact on performance.  I've removed all of those "crap" apps with no noticeable results. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

moonwick wrote:

your remarks are besides the entire point i was making,  sure they can put all the crap they want on it, but they do NOT have the RIGHTS to do so, no where in my contract that i signed does it  say they will add unremoveable apps to the device as they see fit. i bought this phone it is mine lock stock and barrell technically anything they do outside of the contract i signed and do not authorize is a violation of my rights as an individual.

It is in the contract you signed as the guy showed above.  They will add stuff as they see fit which you agreed to.

task killer is a very valuable app, if you don't use it i feel sorry for you, as all the bloatware VZW has put on the phones, comes on when it wants, and resides in the devices memory, so yes it does use system resources,  If i kill all the tasks my battery will last 2 days from full to empty if i do not, i'm lucky if it lasts 3/4 of a day.   so your wrong on all points, thanks for playing try again.

I will explain this to you.  Nothing in ram is wasted ram for a Linux based system which android is.  What you are closing is the libraries that Android has open which is shared through numerous apps.  For example if you close the "phone" app messaging app and a few others will close as well just because the library was closed.  It only looks like they reside in memory as they share the same library as another app.  What you need to look at is processes and not what's in ram.

All i'm saying is if they put it on there that is fine,  just give me the option to remove the crap i don't want.

You do have an option, and it's your choice to do it or not.  Root your device, and remove them.  Warranties are over-rated anyway you will always get a "refurbished" device 99/100 times.  If you screw up most of the time unless you can get into fastboot they'll never know you rooted your device.  If you can get into fastboot you can ALWAYS bring your phone back to stock.

if you can't see that point, then maybe you need to actually use your phone, instead of playing with it as a toy.

If you wanted a "phone" wouldn't you buy a phone that did only that?  These devices were meant more than just being a phone.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

easily removed 2 ways

1. root it and develop the rom you want and load that

2. root it and put on a custom rom from the net

just google motorola droid custom rom.  all sorts of info out there

yes this voids your waranty, but verizon did subsidize the cost.  and you signed a contract allowing them to add any bloatware they wanted

its the same with a pc, if you buy one from dell/hp/ect there are tons of preloaded junk

why didnt you demand it be removed prior to leaving the store?  you purchased it the way it is and now your complaining?

0 Likes
ksbuchanan

{please keep your posts courteous}  I guess that, had you lived over 200 years ago, you would have disagreed with the Revolutionary war.  ...Just let England tax us - who cares.  Although that does seems to be happening all over again today with our own government!!

I agree with your answer, part A, and part B.    But Part C...it is MY PHONE, and I don't want THEIR software on it forever.  Ok, they gave me the software to try, I don't like, so I want to remove it.  Are in a communist software society now??

PJNC284 wrote:

A) Get rid of the task killer.  You're wasting resources with something that isn't needed. 

B) You can't remove it on a stock phone. Even if you could, you would see that there is absolutely no noticeable difference in performance.  Eventhough you see it running, it really isn't doing anything unless you actually have it set up and checking twitter.

C) It's Verizon's software and their right to add all the bloat they want regardless of how much anyone pays.

0 Likes
ksbuchanan

Just another comment...

Yes - WE DID PURCHASE THE DEVICE AND AGREED TO THE LICENSING TERMS.  But, we were NOT represented in the licensing terms, and there is NO negotiation. 

Take or leave, right?  well, sure, I agreed to take it.  They have the right ONLY because the shove that right down our throats and we have no rights, other than to leave at the store.  

It is a good thing that it does eat up more resources, but there is a security risk of having excess software that is installed on a device...whether it is a phone or a PC.  I have a master's degree in Information Security, and I am well-educated in the realm of security.  Those that don't understand, well that is why malware is so prevalent...you just don't understand how to protect yourself.

But VZW and Motorola will absolve themselves of any liability resulting for malware on your phone - even if they contributed to, you have already agreed to hold them harmless...read the agreement.

{no personal comments, please}, are technically and legally correct.  You can remove the apps if you {edit for TOS violation} And, VZW has the right give you any software that they choose to.  It is business - they don't give a rats tail about your rights, nor do they care if you even use the crappy software they push out (...come on...City ID?? ..who cares).  They receive a stipend for adding these apps to the phone.  

Maybe VZW should come up with new monthly fee that allows you to "opt-out" of the pre-installed software!  ...yeah...like I would really pay them more than i do already.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
No you are wrong for the simple fact you were there and you signed to it and agreed to it. Even if it was non-negotiable. YOU still had to be there to sign to or agree to the terms. IF you didn't agree to the terms you could have went to T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint or whatever carrier. They didn't put a gun to your head and made you agree to their terms. I am not a Verizon customer yet, and I have seen and read everything I can before I make my decision, and I know I am not forced to agree to their terms or else I would already be a customer...
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
Also I would like to add name me one phone that allows you to remove apps that are apart of the system partition. I can't think of 1. You will have to modify your phone to get permissions to do so no matter what phone is out there.
0 Likes