tether, desktop outlook, huge data use
BEVTWI
Enthusiast - Level 1

yesterday, tethered at not particularly fast speeds, i used over 10gb over 6 hours. no videos, windows updates, etc. light web surfing but using desktop outlook.

it is hard for me to believe i could have even used that amount period but in particular that the outlook desktop app would need that much data transfer. i do have a lot of email and probably received 150 emails during that time--but 10gb?

this isn't unusual--everytime i tether with outlook, the data use is extremely high though yesterday was absurd.

anyone find a workaround for this?

anyone think there is a data counting error on verizon's part?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: tether, desktop outlook, huge data use
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Unexplained data usage isn't ever a good thing, BEVTWI. Some applications do use higher amounts of data than others, and we would like to dig into this further. Have you tried connecting to Outlook via the web, to see if it uses the same amount of data as the desktop application? Does the Outlook application have any video advertisements that play within it?

Lynn_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BEVTWI
Enthusiast - Level 1

my desktop outlook (outlook 2010 from ms office 2010) has 8 email accounts--6 are gmail but 2 outlook based (1 through a school account).

when i use these email accounts on the web, my data use is normal, no huge data use.

there are no video ads to play with. it is regular email--a lot of email but the new email that downloads is not anywhere near 10gb. the emails in my folders do total more than 10gb but not the new ones that come in while i am using the program.

i have used the f9 key in outlook which synchronizes all email. i had assumed that this merely updated for new emails but i'm now seeing that other people have had this problem with outlook desktop (outside of the verizon tethering context). eg high data usage with Outlook 365/2013 - Microsoft Community

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

in the 150 emails, how many with huge pics??

how big was the windows update??

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

How do you know windows didn't download an update or any other program you have on your laptop? Verizon is not magically adding data or magically using more data. It's something on YOUR end. Using 10 GB in 6 hours would only take 3.7 Mbps by the way

0 Likes