skype does't work over wifi only
newvalve
Enthusiast - Level 3

I remembered from years ago that Verizon had a hacked version of skype that required using mobile data (3G/4G/LTE) i.e. spending money to work.  A google search seems to indicate this was cleared up, but it ain't so - I just downloaded skype on my Galaxy 4S, and it only connects when mobile data is turned on, not with wifi only.    Is there a way around this?   skype over wifi is a good way to have a lifeline when overseas without paying exorbitant call/data fees for international roaming, not to mention calling Verizon support (of course, they'd need to get with the program and have a skype account) when international service fails, which has been the last 3 overseas trips I've made.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
newvalve
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, forget this - a remove/reboot/reinstall seems to have made things OK.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: skype does't work over wifi only
newvalve
Enthusiast - Level 3

BTW - don't bother to tell me about Skype wifi - that's essentially a way to get you to use skype costs to connect to wifi and then make calls.   I'm talking about a way to use the generally ubiquitous free wifi in hotels, restaurants, etc, especially overseas - and not just Europe, same problems in Brazil and Indonesia for example.

0 Likes
newvalve
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, forget this - a remove/reboot/reinstall seems to have made things OK.

0 Likes