should there be concern about the EOL of most of the droid phones?
leader0101
Enthusiast - Level 3

for a while ive been researching heavily about droid phones due to verizon wireless taking over my centennial wireless in my town.

ive been extremely excited and though i have to wait till may of 2011, i was hoping to get a droid x which is the best for my current lifestyle.

well i was looking up if there were going to be any new phones coming out between now and may and i came across this article that i have the link to below. it talks about the EOL of the droid phones and alot of them including the X and incredible will stop being sold if i read it correctly.

so what is up with this? will i be out of luck come may when i wont be able to buy the X i want or is this good news about better phones that will come out and maybe they will come out with a phone that is the same size and operating system layout as the X? why would verizon do this?

link:

http://www.androidcentral.com/slew-verizon-phones-may-see-end-life-march-2010

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: should there be concern about the EOL of most of the droid phones?
budone
Legend

A year is actually a long run for a phone. Don't worry the new and improved ones will be following. But I will be holding onto my Inc for a while... I like it too much

0 Likes
leader0101
Enthusiast - Level 3

so does this mean that when i finally switch over to verizon in may, the X will not be sold but the new phones will be?

any idea if they will finally get the bugs worked out in the new devices? like did they get things right with the droid 2 global and the pro that just came out?

and in the case that i get to switch over sooner than may, should i hold off till the new phones or get one of the phones that are available at the momment?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

leader0101 wrote:

so does this mean that when i finally switch over to verizon in may, the X will not be sold but the new phones will be?

any idea if they will finally get the bugs worked out in the new devices? like did they get things right with the droid 2 global and the pro that just came out?

and in the case that i get to switch over sooner than may, should i hold off till the new phones or get one of the phones that are available at the momment?

I think there will always be some bug that some find annoying. As for my Inc. I have had it since the day it rolled out and with all that you see in the forum, I have never had any of those issues. Remember, subs come here for issues. But there are 90+ million subs out there, so for the majority, all is well.

As for the X, you may very well find a 3rd party or an affiliate store in May that still has the phone you want.

I thought the Global Droid comes out next week. As for holding out for something else or get one that is available at that moment...... that is a decision you have to make. These devices are constantly evolving. By may there could very well be an LTE Droid out there.... That really throws a wrinkle in the decision process!!  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
kschaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

Waiting till late Spring will probably give you new and better choices. As much as I love my DInc, if I had a chance to get a brand new one (generation 2), I would jump on it!

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Not sure if this was one of them, but I saw a couple articles about this shortly after the DX and D2 came out. EOL simply means these phones will no longer ship to stores after this date, so by may you might still be able to find one. However, the thought is that, at this point, Verizon will be getting ready to make room for LTE phones and/or phones capable of running honeycomb (the next-next version of android.)
0 Likes