Re: s5 lollipop update and draining the battery and slowing my phone down?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

robmilissa,

Thanks for trying those steps to help with the issues you're having. I'm sorry you feel we're minimizing your concerns, it's definitely not our intention. However, the software design is not up to us, that's on the developer's end. We work with them to ensure the update is compatible with our network and will work as best as possible on our phones. Can you please clarify what you're referring to when you say you're not able to use the features you like? Does the silence feature from the drop down menu not function?

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hyenas,

I also do not like how my phone acts up after an update, so I understand how you feel right now.  After a software update all the phones applications also have to optimize themselves to the new operation system.  The applications take longer then the phone to update and your is working in the background all this time to complete the optimization.  This is why you notice your phone getting warmer because it is working constantly to update applications.  Since the phone gets warmer it will cause the battery to drain.  Have you checked to see if your applications are all up to date?

YareliM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
angelinaOO7
Enthusiast - Level 3

@VZWSupport

Yes, my apps are up to date. I've uninstalled a large chunk of them. I've done every suggestion thrown out to me, except for the FR.

Today has been 1 week since I have installed the 1st of 2 updates that were rolled out. I can appreciate a small window of "leveling out". If by Tuesday (that will be a FULL 7 days since my update) I see no change, I will do a factory reset. I am not happy about that. Its a pain, and it takes time to set back up. I don't have a lot of free time, so its a huge inconvenience for me. I realize that it is not Verizon's fault, its Samsung's. I just can't believe more testing didn't go on before it was pushed out on both parts. Verizon has to understand the frustrations of its customers, even though you didn't 'do' the update, you still carry the responsibility of keeping your customers happy and making sure our phones work like they should. At this point, if a factory reset does not fix my problem, what will Verizon do for me?

angelinaOO7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have some info, that may be helpful:

>> Duplicate post removed by Verizon Moderator to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service   See Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems <<

0 Likes
jkuchtaofmi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too was all of sudden having a high battery drain and a hot phone.  I downloaded the GSam battery monitor that Slingshot80 suggested.  I found that Facebook messenger was in a hung state.  It was hung even after cleaning the Cache and rebooting my phone.  I had the Gsam battery monitor force the app to close and problem when away. My phone works similar to the KitKat OS now.  You can also find your battery usage under Settings/ Battery.  There is also some good tops for fixing your phone here:  http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-lollipop-problems/

It seems that the Lollipop update will make a stray application to hang.  May not always be Facebook messenger, it could be anything.  I think the 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 updates to Lollipop will be helpful once Verizon releases them.

0 Likes
rockjock298
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having the same battery issues as well as my samsung 5s not responding fast. I am also having problems with my Google Toolbar not acting properly and giving me "Sorry, APK exception, will exit" send a Google search bar shuts off.

0 Likes
2farmer2

And my s5 has been doing all of that but still using Kit Kat. I'm also eating up data like crazy. And I'm almost always connected to WiFi. I have noticed that both UTUBE and Google Play Music start up on their own. They run in the back ground. So now I must constantly be checking the Task Manager to see if they have opened up. And yes they generally do it when I am not on a WiFi connection. I believe that way before the month is up, I will most likely surpass the 3 GB plan that I have. And yes I barely ever use my phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for that information angelinaOO7! I know it can be tedious to factory reset on your phone and to repersonalize it.  The good news that the phone does reinstall the applications to your phone but before we do that can I have you clear http://vz.to/1B2Ps80 your phones cache partition?  When did you do the 2nd update? The second update does also fix battery issues and can take 2-3 days to normalize.  If we need to replace your device, you do have a 1 year warranty on the device from the date of purchase. If we need to replace we can. Let us know the results once you have cleared the partition.

AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

angelinaOO7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did the first update Sunday and the second update on Monday,  today has been 1 week. I did the wipe partition,  it didn't seem to help  Thanks for reaching out. I'll see how the day goes, if no improvement I'll do the factory reset tonight.

0 Likes
free_popcorn
Contributor - Level 1

The gf updated hers last week and experiencing most of the issues noted previously by other forum members. We did the factory reset and there was not much of a difference...we are in the process of reactivating her old Blackberry (yes, its that bad). Verizon is famous for being the last carrier to push out an update, and was very surprised they were the first to push 5.0 for the s5...which left me skeptical that the update would be successful, or fully tested since it is such a huge OS jump. Sure enough, the issues began immediately after the update was installed and despite our best efforts and performing every troubleshooting step known and mentioned in this thread alone, we are done not only with Samsung, but with Android. I have the Note 4 and very fortunate the 5.0 disaster was not pushed to my device yet but am trying to be patient to see how the m9 looks...but think we are throwing in the towel and jumping to iOS.