ringtone purchase crashes messaging?
hlb561

I bought a ringtone from Verizon for my new Stratosphere II, but never got the message containing the ringtone.  If I click messaging, I see no messages, and I get the error "Unfortunately, Messaging has stopped."  I tried restarting the phone.  I checked for software updates.  I tried starting in safe mode; I still get the same error.   What is the fix for this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: ringtone purchase crashes messaging?
hlb561

Tomorrow my initial 14 days will be up, so today I took my phone to a Verizon store.  They tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery; no change in error.  They did a hard reset/ wipe and factory data reset.  This cleared the error message.  They had me buy the ringtone from the Verizon website again, which caused the same error.  Reset the phone again.  Had me buy the ringtone through the Verizon Tones app.  This download did not cause the error.  Had me do all of this again to confirm that the ringtone message causes the messaging crash.  So now I have purchased the same ringtone five times.  I hope I will be able to convince Verizon to credit four of those.  The phone is functioning again, but only until the next multimedia message crashes it.  There has to be a better long term fix than doing a hard reset every time.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

1) You probably should have made sure the rep was going to put a credit on your account before you took his advice to purchase the same thing multiple times.

2) Don't bother with Verizon's defective "services".  Use Maps instead of VZ Nav, use Android's native backup to your gmail account for contacts, Google+ backup for pictures, and any app from the Play Store for messages and call log instead of backup assistant, and use Zedge or any number of similar apps instead of purchasing ringtones and wallpapers from Verizon.  All of these things were instituted during the dumbphone days and were useful then.  Now they are just being shoehorned into somewhere they are not needed, and not very well.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know that I arranged for credits to repurchase some ringtones early in my contract owning the DROID Eris. I still have those ringtones files.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I also got some credits for ringtones I had purchased back when I had to replace my old RAZR flip phone oh so many years ago, so it is certainly possible.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you were having such a rough time with the ringtones on your new phone, hlb561. Let me ask, do you get the same error when you try to download a different ringtone? We would have no problem crediting the "test" downloads. No convincing needed.

TamaraH_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
hlb561

The ringtone I bought was "cactus wren."  I do not want to try buying another from the website because if it does the same thing, I will have to wipe my phone again and spend a lot of time getting all the settings, etc. back again.  I am happy to hear that I should not have any trouble getting refunds for the "test" ringtones.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the info hlb561. If you're still having issues downloading ringtones and accessing the Messaging app I'll need to review your account to further assist. Please respond to my follow request and send me a private message with your name and mobile number.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes