"Update Unsuccessful" on many apps with Froyo
bobfinn

Ever since I received the Froyo OTA, I've been having an annoying problem when updating some of my apps. The download will complete, the installation will begin, and then I'll receive the error message "update unsuccessful." Sometimes I receive the message "installation unsuccessful" when installing a brand new app.

Here's what I've tried:

1. Turning phone off, then back on.

2. Rebooting.

3. Removing battery, waiting several minutes, then restarting.

4. Uninstalling the apps that refuse to update, then attempting to re-install.

5. Clearing all caches, including the Market cache.

6. Force-closing the Market app.

None of these things have worked. Certain apps just cannot be updated and cannot be installed.

Possibly related: After the Froyo update I moved as many apps as possible to the SD card. Yet that freed up only a small amount of space in the internal memory.

I'd appreciate any ideas short of a factory reset.

By the way, I have an un-rooted Droid 1.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "Update Unsuccessful" on many apps with Froyo
shyuj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not quite sure what's happening either, but I do have a workaround to update those problematic apps:

1) Move apps that require updating from the SD card back to phone memory.

2) Perform the update.

3) Move the app back to the SD card.

I've got two non-techy guesses why this might be happening:

1) when Froyo moves the app to SD, it's leaving a portion of the executable behind.  The updates aren't able to install to the fragmented app locations?

2) The SD card may not have been unmounted properly, causing corruption.

While it's a pain to do this for every update, it's been working for me.  I hope some kind of fix is discovered for this.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
shyuj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not quite sure what's happening either, but I do have a workaround to update those problematic apps:

1) Move apps that require updating from the SD card back to phone memory.

2) Perform the update.

3) Move the app back to the SD card.

I've got two non-techy guesses why this might be happening:

1) when Froyo moves the app to SD, it's leaving a portion of the executable behind.  The updates aren't able to install to the fragmented app locations?

2) The SD card may not have been unmounted properly, causing corruption.

While it's a pain to do this for every update, it's been working for me.  I hope some kind of fix is discovered for this.

0 Likes
bobfinn

Thanks. I independently arrived at the same solution. It's odd that some apps need to be moved back to the phone to update, while others are happy to be updated on the SD card.

0 Likes
hoovnick

Most if not all of the system apps such as your launcher, and the apps that you have widgets with, need to stay on the phone memory to update and behave correctly.

0 Likes
bobfinn

It's not just the system apps and the ones with widgets. I'm finding that at least 50% of my apps, maybe 75%, don't like to be updated when they're on the SD card. So when I want one of those to update, I move it back to internal memory, update it, and then move it back to the SD card. Cumbersome and annoying, but it works.

0 Likes