pictures go black on messages
Hirshberg

I have a samsung galaxy S5 and I did the verizon update about two months ago. Since then when I try to see pictures that are sent to me in messages (I use message plus) they sometimes just become black and there is no picture. Any ideas. Did not have this problem before I upgraded the software and of course I can not get rid of the upgrade.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: pictures go black on messages
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I too experienced this problem. Since then I have cleared the cache in my Message+ app and that seems to have resolved the issue. I also deleted any threads I no longer needed and di an overall clean up of the device.

You could back up threads you want to keep and clear your cache and data.

settings>applications>application manager>all (scroll left)>message+

Then delete cache, delete data and restart.

You can also go into settings>storage>cached data and clear it all

0 Likes
beentheredonethat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since you're using Messages+ and didn't mention any other issues I doubt it was directly a result of the system update, more likely a side effect.  Remember that most apps were developed for the previous version and have trouble sometimes after a major update, in this case from KitKat to Lollipop.  Here's what I would do:

First, reset the Messages+ application.

Settings>Applications>Application Manager>Messages+

Force Stop>OK>Clear Data>OK

Restart the phone and test it, see if that clears things up.

If resetting Messages+ doesn't fix it, make sure everything is backed up.  Verizon Cloud, DropBox, PhotoBucket, SD card, whatever, just so that you can load everything back afterward.  Then perform the dreaded Factory Data Reset to clear the phone and set it back up again.  As much of a hassle as it is, doing it resolves many of the "settling in" issues that surround software updates.  For instance, back when most people used PC's and Microsoft would come out with a new version of Windows, running the upgrade disk would install it but often there were problems.  Computer geeks back then insisted the best way to upgrade was to perform a "clean install."  Most casual, non-geek users didn't know better and often made the same kind of complaints seen on this forum.  Factory Data Reset is the closest thing smartphone users have to a clean install as it clears out remnants of the old system, temporary files, etc, and reinitializes any installed apps.

0 Likes
TTyme

Having the same issue on S5.  I even did a factory reset last night.  Still same issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to be able to see your pictures, TTyme. You indicate that you experience same issue (unable to view incoming message pictures). Since you have done a factory reset, the operating system should not be the issue. Let confirm that a third party application conflict is not the culprit. Please run and test in Safe Mode as per this link: http://spr.ly/6589B9NmS

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TTyme

I have done this.  Still have over 60% of my pictures black at the bottom.  ALSO, the pictures that I do have can only be looked at once and then even though they show at the bottom in thumbnail they will not show again on the main screen.

I have now rebooted again to normal mode.  Nothing has changed.  Like I said.  I did a full factory reset just a day and a half ago.

At 1st I though this was a syncing issue wit the main server but it doesn't make sense that I can press on several once and see the picture but not after that.  This happens on my wife's S5 as well.  My friend stopped using the Verizon Message Plus app due to this as well.

I really like the app but I really want to be able to see the pictures.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TTyme I regret to learn you have had this issue with your picture messages. I do want to help get this resolved. You have done a ton of trouble shooting already, but I have a few more suggestions. Have you completed the app reset the other users were mentioning? If not please do so. I would also recommend going to Play Store- My Apps and making sure the Messaging + is up to date. Have you tried using the standard messaging app? If so did you have this same issue?
AdrienneP_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes