no 4g if wifi available
videograndpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

How do I set up my galaxie s5 to not use 4g if phone is logged in to wifi.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: no 4g if wifi available
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, mobile data and cellular data are the same thing.

If you have both mobile data and wi-fi turned on but there's a strong wi-fi connection and the phone is connected to it, the phone should use wi-fi and not data.  Also, go to settings > wi-fi > menu (the three vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner) > advanced > tap Keep Wi-Fi On During Sleep and change to Always (otherwise, when the phone goes into sleep mode, wi-fi will turn off and mobile data will be used).

It's also not a bad idea to turn off mobile data whenever you're connected to wi-fi for extended times.  Another way to turn it off is to pull down the notification shade and tap the Mobile Data toggle button.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turn off the cellular data connection under the data usage area of the phone settings.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
videograndpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

i don't have a "cellular data connection" in that menu.  I have "Mobil data".  On my wife's phone this is left on, and hers works the way we want.  Is mobil data the same as cellular data?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, mobile data and cellular data are the same thing.

If you have both mobile data and wi-fi turned on but there's a strong wi-fi connection and the phone is connected to it, the phone should use wi-fi and not data.  Also, go to settings > wi-fi > menu (the three vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner) > advanced > tap Keep Wi-Fi On During Sleep and change to Always (otherwise, when the phone goes into sleep mode, wi-fi will turn off and mobile data will be used).

It's also not a bad idea to turn off mobile data whenever you're connected to wi-fi for extended times.  Another way to turn it off is to pull down the notification shade and tap the Mobile Data toggle button.

videograndpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did that.  Thank you

Cliff

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome.

zcraigs
Enthusiast - Level 3

but if you turn off the data, how will you get mms messages?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You'll have to turn mobile data on to send/receive MMS.

0 Likes
zcraigs
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks - i didnt have to switch until yesterday's update - ive been able to have wifi on, and send mms messages (at the same time) for 7 years.

it wouldn't make sense to have to switch to get a text message - how would you know that somebody was texting you to switch over.

I can have them both on right now, but when on the network extender (only)  it's either/or

0 Likes
Not applicable

zcraigs wrote:

thanks - i didnt have to switch until yesterday's update - ive been able to have wifi on, and send mms messages (at the same time) for 7 years.

it wouldn't make sense to have to switch to get a text message - how would you know that somebody was texting you to switch over.

I can have them both on right now, but when on the network extender (only)  it's either/or

Network extenders only work on 3G. Your device is 4G. MMS goes over the data network. However the Verizon Messsages app can send and receive messages over wi-fi