is there a fix for the turbo upgrade to android 5.1
thomasles

i just upgraded my droid turbo to 5.1.  it's running really hot and the battery life in down to about 18 hours at best.  things like the "caller name id" app consume 37% of the battery.  is there a fix?  is verizon releasing a correction for this mess?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: is there a fix for the turbo upgrade to android 5.1
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Have you done a Cache Wipe on the phone since then?  Do you take a lot of Pictures as well? The camera app on some of the Motorola's fails to shut down causing battery drain and heat.  You can check if it is running by going to settings>Application Manager>Running and see if the camera is listed there. If it is simply open the app and hit force stop.

Also I would restart the phone in Safe Mode (Recovery Mode) and let it run for a day or two and see if it does the same thing. If it does not then it is related to an app you have installed on your phone that does not want to shut down.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lets ensure your device is running in top form! When did you complete the update? It can take a several days for the update to become optimized with the device.
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

When you first install the new update the first thing the OS does is optimize your apps, pics, music and other data on the phone.  This in itself can take many hours.  After the initial Optimization which really is only getting the apps, music, data etc... to be able to use the OS, then the phone goes into its use Optimization mode where it looks at how you use the phone and optimizes to your usage.  During this time do NOT use any APP Killers or Battery Optimization apps as they will throw your phone off a lot.  During this optimization the OS takes a list of all of the stuff on your phone and re arranges the list to how you use it.

Example if you spend all day on Facebook, then it will move Facebook to the top of the list so it will open fast when you go to use it. It will also take say Amazon that you never use and move it to the bottom of the list which will keep it shut off.  This part is very important as many apps on the phone are set up to Auto Start when the phone is turned on (that is why it runs hot and has a lower battery life) about half of your apps are running in the background on the device.  So after about 72 hours or so the phone will start to level off as it knows enough about your usage to know what to turn off immediately or not even load and what to leave on standby as you use it.  It will refine itself more over the next couple of weeks and then when you add new apps or change usage habits.

0 Likes
thomasles

I updated it July 25th. How will I know tht it has "adjusted" itself.

Thomas Leslie

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Have you done a Cache Wipe on the phone since then?  Do you take a lot of Pictures as well? The camera app on some of the Motorola's fails to shut down causing battery drain and heat.  You can check if it is running by going to settings>Application Manager>Running and see if the camera is listed there. If it is simply open the app and hit force stop.

Also I would restart the phone in Safe Mode (Recovery Mode) and let it run for a day or two and see if it does the same thing. If it does not then it is related to an app you have installed on your phone that does not want to shut down.

0 Likes