is the Galaxy Nexus too big?
sethm

Wonder if this is a real phone.

This reminds me of the Bionic and how many months went by till it actually arrived.

I have seen the specs (or at least the UK version.  I hear the Verizon version may have a bigger battery - which means more weight - ugggg).  Will this thing be safe in my back pocket?   I took a piece of card board and made a cut out per the dimensions.  The Nexus is taller than most shirt pockets.  I dont use a man purse or a belt clip, so seems the back pants pocket the only solution.  I am afraid that sitting on it will break it.

I don't mind the big screen, but the size of the device itself.... 

These new phones are too close to tablet territory.  I am sure the manufactures can build a phone 2 1/2 " wide and 4 1/2" tall yet still have a screen between 4.3 and 4.5. 

My orig Droid (which I am itching to get rid of, as its becoming too sluggish) is 2.5 x 4.5.  Design a better bezel and screen and I am sure a 4.5 inch screen will fit.

Also, except for Ice Cream Sandwich, is this new Nexus really that good?  The camera is not as good as the iPhone 4S.  The Nexus with a bigger screen & 4G will probably go thru the battery pretty quick.  But all in all, compared to the newest Verizon phones, the Nexus is the better of Razr and Rezound.

I recall back when the Galaxy S2 was announced, I was able to e-mail Verizon, a rep got back to me saying to just wait, a better phone then the Galaxy S2 is coming.  Naturally I expected a release date of late Sept or early October.

I think Verizon is delaying the Nexus to try and push more Razr's & Rezounds out the door.  I just may be one of those people with the full intent on returning it for when the Nexus comes out ( and hoping before 1/15/12).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: is the Galaxy Nexus too big?
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

It's not about the hardware, the main selling point is that it's a google supported Nexus with stock android experience.  I'll go out on a limb to say it'll be the only stock 4.x device you see on Verizon.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If that theory is true...  Then the Galaxy Nexus would be out AFTER Dec 28 as that's the last day for the "Holiday" return promotion.  

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

If that theory is true...  Then the Galaxy Nexus would be out AFTER Dec 28 as that's the last day for the "Holiday" return promotion.  

It would need to be after Jan 15th since that's when the return period would end for anyone who purchased between Nov 15 and Dec 28th.  Doubt that's what they're going for though as they said it'd be out later this year in the press release.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I don't think that the phone is too big, but your concerns seem primarily pocket related, and I don't carry my phone the same way that you do.  As a woman, I carry the GNex in my jacket pocket or purse.  It's fine in either of those, but my jacket pocket and purse are larger than usual.  Keep in mind that I am referring to the GSM version of the GNex, but the VZW version won't be much larger.  The case that I have will fit either phone.

I can still do one-handed operation most times.  The exception is reaching for the menu button in some apps.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

PJNC284 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

It would need to be after Jan 15th since that's when the return period would end for anyone who purchased between Nov 15 and Dec 28th.  Doubt that's what they're going for though as they said it'd be out later this year in the press release.

Point taken on that one.
I honestly think it'll come before Christmas, BUT it depends on testing and Google/Verizon...  One thing I thought about... Maybe Google wants a simultanious release for both the GSM and LTE here, and Verizon has to hold out because of the agreement, and also a NDA just to get the device.  
All can do is speculate, but this could be plausible with the FCC licensing the GSM Version for AT&T recently.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

21stNow wrote:

I don't think that the phone is too big, but your concerns seem primarily pocket related, and I don't carry my phone the same way that you do.  As a woman, I carry the GNex in my jacket pocket or purse.  It's fine in either of those, but my jacket pocket and purse are larger than usual.  Keep in mind that I am referring to the GSM version of the GNex, but the VZW version won't be much larger.  The case that I have will fit either phone.

I can still do one-handed operation most times.  The exception is reaching for the menu button in some apps.

Most people probably won't even notice it side by side which one is bigger.  That's how neglible the difference in size is. 
0 Likes
sethm

21stNow wrote:
" I don't think that the phone is too big, but your concerns seem primarily pocket related, and I don't carry my phone the same way that you do.  As a woman, I carry the GNex in my jacket pocket or purse."

Which is my point-  I wonder how many men wear a jacket (especially in California & in the Summer) and with a purse.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

OK, if I can remember on Monday, I will ask one of my male co-workers to put the phone in his shirt pocket to see if it fits.  I will not ask him to put it in his back pocket and sit down, however.  :smileytongue:

0 Likes
jleebiker
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is EXACTLY what I have been saying on some other forums. I personally don't NEED an ever increasing screen just so that it supports watching movies and other multi-media applications. I find a device the size of the iphone or the WP Radar is a perfect not only for my pockets, but my hands and my lifestyle. (If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch it on my TV, laptop, Xoom or ipad2)

I think we should have choices. Make phones that can still run the ICS and future OS's, but give us a choice for form factors that may fit US better. Afterall, my pockets aren't getting bigger, neither is the space on my belt (I'm trying to shrink both actually. )

All I'm asking for is a choice of form factors. I like all the things ICS will do, I just don't need a large size phone to use it on.

0 Likes