importing contacts from a Word doc
ngant17
Enthusiast - Level 2

After browsing over elaborate and complex steps involved in attempting to import contacts into my new Android phone, I found a simple old-fashioned way of doing this with minimum steps.  Basically you make a simple text file from manually entering contacts from your old phone, and save it as word doc, then put in a microSD card that is going to be read by  Android(microSD slot is next to battery compartment);

see sample here (phone_list.doc):

Pastor Jim 407-687-xxxx

Pest Control 407-323-xxxx

Robyn church 407-927-xxxx

Ron 407-928-xxxx

(x'ed out last 4 numbers for this post/privacy)

Okay when you go into Files section of Android, you'll see the doc, with the phone number automatically hyperlinked next to the name you entered.  Then you can just click on hyperlinked phone number and you'll dial that automatically.  It's still not actually in your Contacts list, but it's a lot easier (for me at least) to get the information on a doc file with a keyboard and desktop at home. If you're a fast and accurate typist, would seem a quick step to get the basic information in the Android where you need it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: importing contacts from a Word doc
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you put the contacts in a CSV file, they will import directly into your contacts. I would also suggest importing the CSV file into your Gmail account to let it sync from the web to the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: importing contacts from a Word doc
ngant17
Enthusiast - Level 2

That sounds like an easy thing.  But I did my phone_list.doc in Linux OS, could have done it also in Windows, in any case I saved it as a generic Word doc to the microSD card.  And I right away used that list in Android to dial out directly from the hyperlinked phone numbers that show up on the generic word doc.

BTW when I saved the doc file as CSV format, I ran into errors from the start in Android, it isn't 'smart' enough to recognize the list as a CSV file (keeping alphabetical characters associated with numerical character on each line).  Also Android does not seem to have any way for importing the CSV file from within Contacts, so it's looks like I am still spinning my wheels this way.  At least my list is recognized as a word doc and I can dial out directly from pointing directly on the links.  Time spend on this dead end so far would have outweighed the convenience at this point.  I might have done better by using Excel or a spreadsheet while on the desktop computer instead of making a simple text file, maybe easier for Android to recognize the CSV properties, but not sure about this yet.

0 Likes