how is data use charged when connected to home wifi?
rekollect

I just got my first smartphone -- my first cellphone, actually -- today (LG G2).  So far the learning curve isn't too bad as I'm setting up accounts and figuring out the apps.

I connected to the internet on our home fios network to set things up.  After a couple of hours I found the "mobile data" in Settings and saw that I've used one MB of data:  not much, but I'm not understanding why it's registering under something named "mobile". 

So -- I'd really appreciate it if someone would explain to this newbie:  does this one MB count against my monthly data plan/quota?  even though I'm connecting via our FIOS and not a random, Mobile G4 connection?

I really don't know.  If it doesn't count against it, is there a way of differentiating between the data I've used from FIOS and the data I might later use via the G4?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how is data use charged when connected to home wifi?
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

One MB is not much and was probably during setup on your device. Make sure your settings show that you only want to update programs and apps while connected to WiFi. I have 3 Moto X devices sharing 6 GB data and we only used 0.182 GB of data for the month. I use the My Verizon app to check our data use. The app will show how much of your alloted data you have used. Wifi does not count against your data use. It sounds like you have things under control. Good luck.

Doc

View solution in original post

StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

One MB is not much and was probably during setup on your device. Make sure your settings show that you only want to update programs and apps while connected to WiFi. I have 3 Moto X devices sharing 6 GB data and we only used 0.182 GB of data for the month. I use the My Verizon app to check our data use. The app will show how much of your alloted data you have used. Wifi does not count against your data use. It sounds like you have things under control. Good luck.

Doc

Not applicable

You only get charged for mobile data if you are actually connecting to the mobile data network. So of course using wi-fi doesn't count. he only time wi-fi would count is if one is using Verizon's mobile network as their main ISP and your using a mi-fi or jetpack. You're not. I have Charter as my ISP so why would Verizon charge me for data I use on Charter's network?

Anyway if yo want to make sure you are not using mobile data at all you can simple turn it off. just go to SETTINGS and where it says Mobile data just toggle it to off.

0 Likes
Not applicable

StreetDocRN wrote:

Hi,

One MB is not much and was probably during setup on your device.  Make sure your settings show that you only want to update programs and apps while connected to WiFi.  I have 3 Moto X devices sharing 6 GB data and we only used 0.182 GB of data for the month.  I use the My Verizon app to check our data use.  The app will show how much of your alloted data you have used.  Wifi does not count against your data use.  It sounds like you have things under control.  Good luck.

Doc

Yep we have 5 smartphones sharing 6 GB for the last 5 months and so far we have only used at most 2.5 GB in any month. Seriously considering knocking down to 4 GB.

0 Likes
rekollect

StreetDocRN and anonymuss,  Thanks!  Both of your answers are correct but since I'm. new to this I wasn't sure I could designate two "correct"s.  Toggling the mobile data -- of course!  For some reason I thought it had to be on for any connection.  *Ihavealottolearn*  Thanks again,  "rekollect"-

0 Likes