Re: galaxy s3 battery icon has a red x while charging and it takes a while for it to say its charging
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jademotte We know how important it is to have a relaible charge on your device. Since reset has been completed and we are unaware of any information regarding a release, we recommend trying a warranty replacement. Is there any physical or moisture damage?

Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: galaxy s3 battery icon has a red x while charging and it takes a while for it to say its charging
jademotte
Enthusiast - Level 1

My GS3 is not under warranty.  So I guess I'm just out of luck because Verizon continues to treat this like it is a hardware issue.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with either of the GS3'S on my account and amazingly they are both doing the same thing after the upgrade to kit Kat.

sjbarron

I suddenly have the same problem - as soon as I updated the system today.  This clearly is some problem with the latest update for the Samsung Galaxy 3.  Hope they straighten it out soon.

0 Likes
WindowViper
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would just add that in my case the problem did not arise precisely with the Android upgrade a couple of days ago but when I rebooted the phone last night (a restart, not a reset to defaults). Then I got the red X. The phone did charge, perhaps slowly (but it had all night) and then it either stopped at 96% or only made it that far by morning. When I moved it to a different recharge cable plugged into the USB port on my desktop computer, I got a black lightning bolt and it charged as rapidly as ever to 100%. The difference might be either the power source or the cable, but it's not the battery or the phone. It's software reacting to a non-problem. As others have said, it's not hardware.

This is clearly a software problem that needs to be fixed; however, my advice would be to muddle through until it is fixed. Don't freak out over it and go buy a bunch of batteries and cables. Unless your symptoms are more severe than mine (such as not charging at all, no matter where you plug it in), this is not that big a deal.

LaurenRuhumbika
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing is happening to my phone.  I went and bought two new batteries because my phone wouldn't charge after the update.  I finally started using my mom's iphone charging port and it started charging.  My other chargers worked fine before the update.  Now I get a big fat red X when I'm charging.  Not okay.

0 Likes
Cwett
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having this same issue. All my chargers that used to work are giving me problems now. How is this going to be fixed??

riley22

I have found if I turn off my phone. Then take out my battery. Put my battery back in, then plug phone back in. It gets rid of the red x. I hate that I have to do this every time to charge my phone. Hope someone finds a better fix!

0 Likes
JDawg00
Enthusiast - Level 1

just got a new GS3 with my replacement plan through best buy. changed the phone with my car charger on the way home and then plugged it in when i go home (two diffeent chargers) without any issue and charging fine. soon after Igot home and connected to WIFI I downloaded the update. as son as it was done and powered up (still plugged in) the red "x" was there. definitely an issue with the software update that needs to be figured out ASAP!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for providing information regarding your discovery, JDawg00! We know how vital it is to be able to successfully charge your phone.
Just want to make sure we understand completely, is the Red X there as it is charging or when you stop charging?
Does it appear when you use the original charger that came with the Galaxy S III?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LovellStudios

We now have this red x problem - we have been using two of the Onn All-in-one chargers at $15 each and they show up on both our S3 phones as a red x since the kit kat upgrade... very frustrating, because we use these when we travel and rely on being able to charge quickly.

Both chargers worked prior to upgrade and were very quick at charging the phones. I've verified that it's not the charger (by buying another charger and even charging other things like iPads) checked wires and everything else...

A second or two after plugging the charger cable in the phone - the phone will do a short vibrate as if it was charging but the battery icon has a red x and the battery icon is darkened out.

This has to be a kit kat upgrade issue... HELP!!!

0 Likes