for those of you not happy with Eris battery life
j0j081
After reading countless posts about the Eris battery life being poor I was a little nervous before activating my phone yesterday. Now a day later I am pleasantly surprised. I used my phone much more than I would normally because I was having fun setting up everything. I would estimate I got at least 14 hours of on and off intensive use out of it and about 8 hours of standby time.

Some of the things I was doing include downloading, installing, and configuring apps, streaming music with pandora, browsing the web, checking email, quite a a bit of texting, a couple calls, playing a game, testing gps, setting my theme, and comparing wifi speed to 3g.

I found the battery life widget I installed to be very accurate. I do have the screen set to auto brightness which I realize some people may not like and blutooth was disabled the whole time. I charged the battery for 3/4 of a day before powering up the phone for the first time. I then let it drain all the way down and it finally just died about an hour ago. I am wondering did everyone else give the battery enough initial charging time?  One weird thing I noticed is that even after the phone was plugged in for most of the day before I activated it the battery light was still red indicating it wasn't full.  I unplugged my charger to move the phone to a new location and shortly after I plugged it back in the light turned green as if it had already been full but was not indicating it.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: for those of you not happy with Eris battery life
BG

I've down some extensive test of batteyr life over past few days and here are my observations :

I've kept a detailed log of Uptime/AwakeTime/Awake%/BatteryLevel - the conclusion - the best I've been able to manage is about 3.5-4.0 hrs of total awake time (ie., actually using the phone as well as any apps running while phone is asleep) with a Awake% of roughly 25-40%.  That eqautes to about 10-12/13 hrs of total battery life.  Not surprising results considering that the speced battery life for talk time is 214 mins (3 hrs 34 mins)

I haven't tried playing music for an extensive period of time.  I'd be curious to know if anyone has and what the battery drain was? 

I bought this as a possible iPhone "replacement" since I did not want to switch to AT&T.  I know someone that has an iPhone and he says he rearely if ever has connection issues, dropped calls and he gets at least 5-7 hrs (compared to the 3.5 hrs on this Eris, though I wouldn't call my usage "heavy" at only about 30%) of heavy use out of it over a typical 18 hr or so period between charges.

Thoughts, commments?

Coming down to decision time and either going to stick with the Eris and its shortcomings or bite the bullet and switch to AT&T iPhone

0 Likes
j0j081

My battery life seems to be getting even better with time.  A couple times I even tried killing the battery and it took longer than I expected.

0 Likes
yankeeboy

Its gotten MUCH better with time...I have had it for 12 days now....and the battery has gotten significantly better each day.

There are a few tricks that I have figured out though....

1.  Task Killer, Advanced Task Killer, etc....garbage.  They use more resources then they save.  Delete these apps.  I have replaced with Toggle Settings, which gives me the ability to "End Process".  When I reboot, I go through all the running processes, end the unnecessary ones, and it keeps them from rebooting until I ask it to...

2.  Flexilis - This has revolutionized my phone....it offers Anti-Virus, Malware and Adware protection, Backup of contacts and photos, Phone location by GPS and "Phone Scream" - it will set off a siren on your phone if you cant find it....The program uses very little battery power, runs on SMS wakeup, and since installing, I have seen a 2x improvement in battery conservation.

3.  I refuse to "Shut off" the mobile network, as some have suggested on other forums.  If I wanted a phone, I would have bought a phone - not a mini-computer which this is.

Good luck.  I get 12-14 hours now which is fine with me.  I have widgets running on all 7 screens.

0 Likes
j0j081

Thanks for the tips I just installed both of those.

0 Likes