factory reset
buzzeswoman2008
Contributor - Level 3

i have the samsung galaxy s5 and with the new lolliflop update ive been advised to do a factory reset on my phone to fix the battery issue. However i don't want to lose any of my text messages or pictures that are on my phone. is there a way to do a factory reset without losing any of this info especially the wifi passwords?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: factory reset
Snn5
Legend

Back up pictures to PC or cloud.  Contacts are in your Google account.  Use an SMS backup app from the Play Store.  FDR means all is lost.

B33
Legend

Doing a F.D.R. isn't to bad I'd suggest if this is your first time of doing this though just do a normal Factory Reset don't click on to clear your internal Storage leave it be.. If your contacts are as Snn5 suggested with Google as soon as the F.R. is finished all you have to do once you go through the phone programming is to enter your Google account and all your contacts will restore as the in the Google system they'll be back on your phone with in a few seconds as for apps they if there paid Apps you should see them return as well other apps you have you'll soon find them I've completed over 8 Factory Resets and only one time have I lost some of my stuff my pictures and it was my fault that It happen..

If your unsure of doing this your self you can run the phone by a Corporate Store and they can run the phone through the Process or if you have another phone or a Land Line phone customer Service can walk you through the Steps.. Doing these F.R.'s can be pain and can be time consuming but in the long run of it, It may help the phone..

buzzeswoman2008
Contributor - Level 3

thank you so much for your help. do you know of any good reliable free sms backup apps to download? or my phone came with "hangouts" i have not messed with that app and so im not sure what it is or how to use it? thank you again for everyones help im not too tech savvy since i havent had a smart phone in so man years

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

SMS Backup and Restore works well:

SMS Backup & Restore - Android Apps on Google Play

B33
Legend

What was suggested will help sorry I didn't get right back with an answer sometimes we have to have our little breaks after running a Factory Reset your apps will more n update them selves which is usually ok it so they can update to the latest OS  for some apps its better for them to be updated than to not be..