droid static?
canady3428

I have my third droid in two months. On some calls my phone is perfectly clear. More times than not, it has so much static that i can hardly hear what is being said. I always have a good signal, any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: droid static?
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

canady3428 wrote:

I have my third droid in two months. On some calls my phone is perfectly clear. More times than not, it has so much static that i can hardly hear what is being said. I always have a good signal, any ideas?

this is from another helpful forum that i tried and my call quality is a lot better, but try if you want at your own risk:

- Improve Call Audio Quality (Doesn't seem to work if you have anything to do with Alltel!)

• Dial ##7764726 (##PROGRAM) and act as if you were going to call that number.
  • Enter 000000 for the SPC Password and then tap Verify
  • Tap on "04 Vocode"
  • Tap on EVRC-B than Apply
  • Tap the Home Screen button and the phone should automatically reset a few seconds afterward. If not, power cycle the phone
  • Explanation - This changes how the phone compresses and decompressed the call audio which improves the quality.

THANKS VIPERBOY where ever you are

granted not all towers will be programed with this feature and if you come across one you could always change back, just save the number (i save it under CELL TOWER, in my contacts, and six zeros is just too easy to remember)

0 Likes
canady3428

Thanks, but did not help.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

canady3428 wrote:

Since willanaya's suggestion did not work, try dialing *228 from your verizon phone.Press option 2. That just might fix the problem.  If not......sounds like a phone issue to me. I assume you have not had any static problems with your other verizon phones previously,correct?   If it turns out to be the phone,then you can do warranty exchange. Warranty will accept the phone upon your phone doesn't void warranty (liquid damage or physical damage).

0 Likes
Happy2bmeagain

I too have the static on my Motorola Droid but only when I talk to my sister in law that has the Eris Droid. Everyone else I talk to the calls are clear.

0 Likes
solbash

I too have the infamous static problem.  I received my first handset just before the new year and just exchanged it yesterday.  Same result.  Since some posts on other forums report crystal clarity, I had hoped this was a regional distribution problem (like a bad lot of devices).  Since you are in GA and I'm in Los Angeles, this is ruled out.  Now the decision:  Do I keep the most fantastic phone I've ever owned if it is annoying to just use it as a regular phone?

0 Likes
dgposter

I also have experienced the static others are complaining about. I tried 2 different phones from 2 different build dates (first was made on 11/08 and second was made on 12/07). Both phones exhibited the same static problem on my end of the call. I let the salesman hear it for himself on the second phone and he agreed that it was unacceptable. He called his rep at verizon and was told that they were unaware of any issues and to try a few things (reprogramming, battery pull, etc). Of course, none of that worked. I tried the evrc switch and turning off the voice privacy. No change.

I have gone back to my Storm which has no static in the exact same locations where it is unbearable on the Droid. I hope Motorola and Verizon can get this problem solved, as I would really like to own a Droid. However, the horrible call quality is a deal breaker for sure.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

canady3428 wrote:

Try the 13K option.  It has basically the same call quality as EVRC-B but it uses more bandwidth and possibly a litle more battery since it uses little to no compression.  It is the oldest technology that is an option and probably has the most open channels since it is old and most phones are EVRC these days.  EVRC-B isn't supported in all areas so you would have to change it to EVRC which has quality issues on the Droid or 13K which may drain battery in areas where EVRC-B isn't supported.  Whew that was a long explaination.  If you are having trouble with the EVRC setting and EVRC-B isn't supported in all of the areas you go then 13K is your best option as it should be supported most everywhere. 

0 Likes
jgillman

Hi,

I too am having this problem.  My Wife has the storm, and her phone sounds excellent.  I'll call her, and her end does not hear static, but my end sucks.  I swapped out my phone, and that day it was clear as a bell.  Then the next day, it was not.  I think it has something to do with a downloaded program.  I'm just not sure which one.  All I know is after the phone was swapped, I used it all day without adding any apps and it was good.  Then today, I'm back in the static.  I tried changing the compression (if that is the proper term) as suggested.  I only made one call and it seemed a bit better.  I'm going to keep an eye on it, and if it isn't better, I'll try the 13k setting.  If that doesn't work, I'm going to start removing apps.  I need to make a list of all the apps I have installed.  I also set it up to use my home wifi connection, sync the calendar, and check my pop email account.  Oh yeah, sales people at the store are not much help.  After waiting in line for an hour, one rep called my phone from his phone and said he heard nothing wrong.  I walked outside, called my wife and it was static on.  I took it back in and handed it to the clip board guy, "How can you not hear this?"  He said, yeah that is real bad.  After that, he got someone to swap it for me.  I have a feeling when there are people in line waiting to buy a phone, troubleshooting a problem on my phone isn't a top priority.  I really like the phone.  The 3G access is amazing and fast.  A simple thing like call quality is driving me bonkers.  After all, it is a phone...  Also, when I'm using m jawbone prime, I don't seem to notice the static.  Then again, even with the in call bluetooth set to full volume the ear piece is lacking on the droid compared to my other crappy workphone.  The bluetooth volume on that maxed could make you go deaf!  For some reason it has much less volume on the droid.

Hope we find a solution.

0 Likes
canady3428

Thanks for the ideas, but I have bad news. I am now on my 5th droid. This time I did not add anything to it to make sure that was the problem. SAME PROBLEM!!! Maybe verizon will figure it out soon because other making calls. I love the phone!

0 Likes