deliberately misleading and deceitful
TSKny
Enthusiast - Level 1

I went to the Verizon store in Hartsdale, NY to spend $750 on a new phone.  I was told, "Since you are spending so much money we want to offer you this package."  What do you mean?  "We are going to package speakers, headphones, a tablet, a case for your phone, and a charger."  Really?  "Yes, because you are spending so much money and we want to make it worth your while."  Ah, ok?!  But I won't use the tablet.  I really don't need it.  "Ok, we will repackage it with other goodies instead.  And that it better because there is a monthly charge with the tablet, so you won't get that.  And this is great because with the Edge you get to exchange your phone in 18 months.  It's so much better than the old plan."  But I don't have to pay anything for this, right?  (Manager, Branzell, and sales rep, Tran, together) "No, no, no!"  So as I am sitting and waiting for the phone to be uploaded with the new stuff I asked Tran, 'Why are you doing all this for me?'  "Because you are spending so much money and we want to make it worth your while."  Oh, how nice.  Lucky me!  "Your total will be under $750, plus tax.  Sign here."  But, Tran, this says $1,363.61.  "Oh, that's just the retail value.  Sign it, then sign this next page that says $763.62.  That's what you are really paying."  Where is my receipt?  "It's in the bottom of the bag."  Wow - I did great today! 

Upon returning home, I looked at the receipt and see that I was suckered into an Edge Agreement Plan that includes 24 monthly installments of $25.22.  This was never disclosed to me.  I am embarrassed to have fallen for such misleading and deceitful sales tactics.  Thankfully, I didn't get the tablet and, hopefully, will not be charged a "restocking" fee when I return all these great (not free) items.  Verizon - you should be ashamed!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: deliberately misleading and deceitful
Snn5
Legend

If you had just bought the $750 phone straight out, you'd be OK. You might have saved with the promo, but the money saved was equally nulled with the included items.  Sophistry...the act of telling the truth, but being deceitful through word-play and re-purposing details.  However, I understand your concern here.  Instead of letting you just do what you came to do, a promo and fancy worded pitch was delivered instead.

Re: deliberately misleading and deceitful
TSKny
Enthusiast - Level 1

FOLLOW-UP:  I went back to the store today and spent over an hour straightening this out.  I got back all the money I wanted back (no restocking charges) and I paid full retail for the phone.  The two managers that I spoke with assured me that while the $25.22 charge would show up on my account monthly, I would also get a credit for $25.22 each month - and they were offering me a really good deal.  I told them that I only had paperwork that showed the charge.  Where was the paperwork that showed the credit?  They said they didn't have any.  This was a new promotion and I would just have to trust them.  I told them that I could not just trust them and the whole thing felt fishy to me.  Maybe I missed a good deal - but I could not understand their promotion and felt very uncomfortable.  At least now I have paperwork that I understand and I know what I paid for.