data usage
CarpeDiem

Is there a way to tell how much data a particular app is using. I have 4GB of data and have NEVER run over. Now, all of a sudden, Verizon tells me that I'm close to my limit and I'm only 2 weeks into the month. What gives??? Seems like a scam to me.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: data usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi CarpeDiem,

You can definitely check which apps are using data! We definitely need to find out why there's a jump in your usage. The way you do this depends on what device you're using. Which make/model do you have?

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
CarpeDiem

Samsung S4. Hoping you can help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the device model, CarpeDiem!

The following link will allow you to optimize your data usage by allowing you to see how much data each application is using: http://vz.to/1sAfYix.  Let me know how this works out for you.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
sbidabo

If you have not figured this out, try looking at the Verizon Cloud backup.  I ended up using 8.5GB in less than 24 hours while taking wedding pictures of my son's wedding.  They were uploading them to the cloud wirelessly instead of by Wi-Fi.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

There are a myriad of applications that will use data like this. Verizon Cloud, Facebook, Slacker, and many others. You really should disable anything that you are not using and set the ones that you will use in limited environments to Wifi (such as cloud, or app updates etc... and leave only those absolutely necessary for Cellular Data (email, maps, gps, facebook if you use it, etc...)

0 Likes
Eddfitz1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why am I being charged for data usage at night while I am sleeping and my phone is connected to WiFi?

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Many apps are set to update in off hours (this includes Synching). Even though you are connected to Wifi if you have not specified Wifi for these applications then they can use Cellular Data. Verizon Cloud is one that will do this as well and cloud can use a ton of data depending on what it is synching.

0 Likes
sapphireraven
Enthusiast - Level 2

how do you set these to only use wifi???

0 Likes
Omnicorp
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just encountered the same problem. My usage was OK until this evening at 6:30. My kid was playing a game and the data usage jumped to 180 Mb in less than a half hour!!!!  I want to know how that happened!

0 Likes