data plan
Eric72
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would like to know why Verizon forces individuals with smart phones to carry a data plan as well (which is excessively charged). I don't use data, I only use WiFi. for quite sometime now the signal strength on my Samsung Galaxy SIII has always been on 2 bars in side the house which makes it very difficult to understand and the conversation breaks up.

P.S. I refuse to buy their signal booster, it is expensive and have to sign a 2 year contract.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: data plan
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

AT&T requires the data plan for smartphones. Sprint requires the data plan for smartphones, T-Mobile for the most part requires a data plan for smartphones (there might be a few exceptions here that I'm unaware of). US Cellular requires a data plan for smartphones.

Verizon Wireless has required smartphones to have a data plan since late 2008. I doubt that they will change their policy now.

One option for you is to keep a basic phone and get a wifi only tablet.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Eric72
Enthusiast - Level 3

THE QUESTION IS, WHY DO THEY ALL FORCE DATA PLANS ON SMARTPHONES.

0 Likes
Eric72
Enthusiast - Level 3

THE QUESTION WARRANTS AN ANSWER FROM THE FCC.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Then why don't you ask them instead of posting it on a peer to peer customer forum?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

ttipgem
Master - Level 1

The question does not warrant an answer from the FCC.  If it had any merit, it would have already been addressed.

They require the data plan because they can.

Getting a smartphone (or any other phone for that matter) is a VOLUNTARY act.  No one is FORCING anyone to get a phone.  However, if one CHOOSES to get one, then one is OBLIGATED to comply with the terms of the service provider.  Simple.

Also, if you CHOOSE to get a phone in a area that has marginal service, then that's a CHOICE that YOU make and thus you must deal with (and accept responsibility for) the consequences.

Eric72
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, you are a classic example of a person who sits back passively. Whether FCC does anything it will be a wait and see situation.There are other agencies that may take action and I know where to file my complaint.  One way or the other I am getting rid of Verizon Wireless. I have already filed two complaints against them with two different agencies, more are on the list.

by the way folks if most of you file a complaint with the California Attorney General's Office with your various complaints I guarantee that they will look into the matter, they need lots of complaints in order to take action. don't be passive about Verizon's lousy Customer Service. I have filed a complaint with the FCC.

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes