contacts and google mail
biohzd007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi I recently switched from the iphone to a incredible and am terribly confused about how the phone works.

I set up a gmail account at the verizon store. The guy at the store transfered all my contacts (4000+) from my iphone to my incredible. Then I exported all my contacts on my mac "addressbook" to my new gmail account. 

Now when I change something on my gmail account on my computer, the contacts in my phone change. But when I add a contact or make a change on the phone, it doesn't change it on my gmail account. So basically it's only syncing in one direction. 

How can I make a change to contacts on my phone and have it reflected in my gmail account?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Lisa

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: contacts and google mail
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
When you create a contact, you should have an option of selecting which account you want it stored under, phone, google, facebook, etc. To have all phone contacts completely sync with the google, you should always select google for the account choice.

Also to how many contact are currently under the phone only mode, contacts /people app press Menu > View. It should bring up a display that tells you how many contacts are in each account.

On a side note 4000+ contacts? I thought dealing with my almost 200 on google was plenty

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
biohzd007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you so much for you speedy response. 

When I create a contact in the application "people" which came with the phone all I get is a "save" button. There is no choice for phone, google, facebook or anything else for that matter.

When I look under menu>view I see "Google (4413)", "Phone (5)", "Facebook for HTC Sense (235)" and "Twitter (138)".

Is it possible that I check the "always do it this way" box? Is there some setting to get my choice back? Nothing in the "settings" seems to suggest that I can save to something besides the phone.

As for the 4000+ contacts, Ive been collecting them since... the palm pilot?.... and Im not about to edit them now. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
biohzd007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Upon further investigation, if I make a contact via my call log list (that is from a number that isn't in my contacts already) I do get the choice of saving a contact to google or phone.

But I don't get this choice if I create the contact via the "people" application. How can I get this choice no matter how the contact card is created?

0 Likes
Re: contacts and Google mail
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

biohzd007 wrote:

Thank you so much for you speedy response. 

When I create a contact in the application "people" which came with the phone all I get is a "save" button. There is no choice for phone, Google, facebook or anything else for that matter.

When I look under menu>view I see "Google (4413)", "Phone (5)", "Facebook for HTC Sense (235)" and "Twitter (138)".

Is it possible that I check the "always do it this way" box? Is there some setting to get my choice back? Nothing in the "settings" seems to suggest that I can save to something besides the phone.

As for the 4000+ contacts, Ive been collecting them since... the palm pilot?.... and Im not about to edit them now. :smileyvery-happy:

Hmmm...According to the manual you should be able to select "contact type" when you create a contact.  It is at the top of the editing/creating screen for my HTC phone.  Once the contact is made however, there is no way to change that I know of.

As for some contacts are syncing and others not.  Based on the numbers listed, most should be syncing with Google.  The others (Phone, Facebook, Twitter) would not sync with Google.  I am not sure any of those can be linked with the Google contacts and the information will sync.  The only way I know to get them all be on Google is to recreate them

Oh! On second thought, can you go into People on your phone, press menu.  Is there an option for "import/Export"?  Press that and it will export ALL your contacts to a VCF file.  Transfer the file from your SD card to a computer using the USB cable.  Then you can re-import the contacts to Google using your computer.  From there you can use the "find and merger duplicates" to clean the list up.  A pain I know but it might be worth it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: contacts and Google mail
biohzd007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. You are absolutely correct. I see that there is indeed a "contact type" drop down menu when I create a contact from scratch. It just looks totally different from the menu I get when I create a menu from a number that isn't in my contacts. Whew. What a learning curve. Its like every single application has a completely different way of displaying menus. Thank you so much for your help.

Lisa

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
You're welcome. Have fun learning all the ins and outs of your phone. I sure did and don't even use of its available functions. Smiley Happy

0 Likes