Re: commando 3g stuck on old Android version
Snn5
Legend

There will be a lot of features and apps not supported by that version which is now 4 versions of Android behind.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I would recommend buying a more current phone from Swappa.com a lot of them can be found for Verizon under $100.  Still cheaper than a new contract or Edge.

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

The thing is....I like this phone and it works well for me.  I understand it is behind in Android version....already seen that issue with some apps not working.  Not looking to change phones.

Is 2.3.3 considered Gingerbread to ask the questions again that I posted in my last reply?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yeah, GB is 2.x.x.  ICS was 4.0, JB was 4.1 (incremental update) and KitKat 4.4 and Lollipop 5.0

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I have a Samsung Stellar stuck one version of an increment from the last update it was supposed to receive.  It will not update, and I even had VZW replace it.  That one won't update either.  So, it is stuck behind the most recent-for-it version.  Basically, all you can do is ride it out till it breaks or you decide to buy a new phone.  You can do other things, but the Commando was such a niche phone that there is little in the way of aftermarket updating.

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

So by what you wrote, then both of these phones are Gingerbread?  I thought one was GB, the 2.3.3, and the other one was something before GB?????

Verizon has the Responsibility to push the updates thru for ANY and EVERY phone that is active as a PAYING CUSTOMER on their network.  I know you are listening out there Verizon....these are VERIZON forums.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Well, if Google doesn't make an update for a phone, it isn't Verizon's responsibility to push what doesn't exist.

alpha

beta

cupcake

donut

eclair

froyo (version before GB)

gingerbread

honeycomb (tablets only)

ice cream sandwich

jelly bean

kit kat

lollipop

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is an update for my replacement phone....that is the whole point of this thread.  My broken phone has up to 2.3.3, and the replacement phone I have is only 2.1.1?  So, with that being said......there is an update for my replacement phone, and Verizon system is not pushing it thru to the new phone.

Anyone else out there know how to force the update given that I already tried to manually update it thru "About Phone."??????

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You can only update it if you find the baseband and original image, as well as other tools/software needed to install a base file and the method in which to install the update (if you can find it in the wild), unfortunately, we cannot discuss those methods here.

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still looking for the fix.  Thank you in advance.

0 Likes