commando 3g stuck on old Android version
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had a Casio Commando since mid 2011. My original phone has hardware issues(phone mic static & occasional in-operative, external speaker phone very unclear &  not able to be used, internal phone memory full) so I picked up a replacement that's in good condition. I've been putting off switching to the replacement phone because I hate the change over process of setting up a new phone. Well, I switch to it yesterday.  UPDATE:  Switched back to the old one until I get this issue figured out.

My original, old phone was on Android version 2.3.3 and build 150.

The new to me phone is on Android 2.2.1 and build 030.

When I went to the Google play store, my apps, most of them will not download because it says "Your device isn't compatible with this version." I suspect it's because of the older Android and build version on this phone. It's been over 24 hours and the new phone has not updated to 2.3.3. Will it ever or has Verizon taken out all auto downloads since this is a 4 year old phone?

What is the best way to deal with this issue I'm having? I've read a little about rooting the phone but don't understand it or see the reason to do that vs. just getting the phone up to 2.3.3, Gingerbread?  What is the best Android version to use on this phone and still have it able to use the Apps I need to use, that my old phone was running?

Another side issue, I'd like to transfer ALL info off my old phone to this new/replacement phone. Is there some app, service, software, technique to transfer TEXT messages to the new phone? It appears my pics and contacts migrated over to the new phone with the SD card. Is there anything else to transfer over that I'm forgetting about.

If there was a way to repair my old phone and free up internal memory, I would've gone that route, but it seemed like the old phone was dying a slow death. It still powers up and is useable, but the mic and speaker problems were just too much to deal with on a phone I use for work. There were also times it just would not turn on, even with a charged battery. That always worked itself out, but I suspect there may possibly be hardware damage internally that lead to the quirkiness. I could never get the internal phone memory above 60mb available.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: commando 3g stuck on old Android version
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Yeah I doubt the phone will get any updates now. Have you run an fdr?  If you can get sms backup+ saves texts to Gmail folder named sms

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

If I am looking at the correct phone (there are only 2 listed on Verizon, the other is a 4G)

Current  SOFTWARE VERSION C771M140

Whichever phone you decide to use, Factory Reset the device first and make sure the current SIM is installed and try to update.

Your contacts and apps should be backed up to your Google account and other files like photos should be on the SD card.

Perform a Factory Data Reset (Device Powered On) Casio G'zOne Commando (C771) | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the replies.  What is fdr?  Regarding saving the texts to a Gmail folder....can that folder then be imported onto the replacement phone so the replacement phone has my old texts from the old phone on it?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

FDR-Factory Data Reset.  You can use an SMS backup app in the play store to do backups.  Check my post above.

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for clarifying what fdr is.  Which app in play store will back up text messages(from old phone) and restore(to replacement phone)?

Doing an FDR on the old phone may speed it up, but the old phone still has the hardware problems that FDR will not fix.

I'm still looking for a solution on how to get the new to me, replacement phone to update to Gingerbread.  It is stuck on Android 2.2.1 and build 030.  I tried to manually get it to update by going to Settings, About Phone, System Updates, Check New....and it says No New Software Update Available.

I called Casio in hopes they could direct me how to do this manually on the new to me phone.  Casio washed their hands of it and said they sent that process to Verizon and that I must contact Verizon for the process to get it done.  Anyone?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

SMS Backup or similar rated app is recommended, but Verizon would be the place to call about software updates.  However, being out of warranty, there might not be much they can do.

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Verizon Tech,

I'm still looking for the fix on getting the software update to go thru.  I want to switch to this phone with the old Android system, but I want it updated to Gingerbread.  Hoping someone can help figure this problem out.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You want to update to Gingerbread, or downgrade to GB?  GB has been around since the phone came out and surely it received at least the Ice Cream Sandwich update.  The Commando 4G even got the Jelly bean update.

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm trying to get to this.....Android version 2.3.3 and build 150.....which I thought is Gingerbread.  I thought I remember reading that the 3g Commando was never updated past Gingerbread???

Currently, the phone has....Android 2.2.1 and build 030......which is what operating system?

0 Likes