com.android.phone has stopped after 7.0 OTA update
LINTAN31

Device: Moto Z droid

Sim provider: china telecom from China

Issue Summary:

Device keep posting "com.android.phone has stopped" error message when using a sim on roaming network. The error message was posting approximately every 3 seconds, making the phone completely unusable.

Details and what I have done:

This device is with stock android 6.0 when first activated. When I use the china telecom sim on it with the 6.0 android, everything is good. The sim log the device onto AT&T network as a roaming status. I also tried Verizon/Tmobile sim, everything good.

However, when the device got an OTA update to android 7.0. The issue comes. When I use the china telecom sim, the message "com.android.phone has stopped" keep posting on the screen. And at the same time, the signal bars come and go.

I have tried:

1. Clear app data and cache of app "phone", "contact", "sim-toolkit".

2. Do "wipe data factory reset" and "wipe cache" in recovery mode.

3. Factory reset both in recovery mode and setting menu.

4. Enter safe mode to test

But the issue is still there. I tried sim of verizon and tmobile, all good without any issue.

Please provide some suggestion.

Thanks!

-Alex

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: com.android.phone has stopped after 7.0 OTA update
LINTAN31

Hi verizon pros, any finding of this issue?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like the common "To try" items have done. If anything the factory data reset should have resolved this issue.

Is the Phone dialer crashing even with no Google account set up? Many phone dialers support T9 Dialing/Contact look-up. It's possible something in the address book is causing the phone dialer to crash out whenever the China Telecom SIM is inserted.

Another thought is if the phone app has "dial assist" enabled, such as for auto-formatting your dialed number based on where you are, that this is causing an issue.

Is your Moto Z a Domestic (US) or an International / China model?

0 Likes
LINTAN31

Thank you for reply.

The device is a Version moto Z droid, from bestbuy local store, activated there as a verizon device.

I tried several times right after a factory reset and cache wipe, without any google setting, but all crashes.

And dial assist is not valid in my case.

Maybe a downgrade to stock 6.0 rom is a solution, may I ask if I can get any help from local Verizon store of that? And I think this phone is still under warranty, as it was purchased only two weeks ago.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since the phone is only purchased two weeks ago, some store exchanges may be out of the question (due to buyer's remorse rules) but it doesn't hurt to see if the store has any information. Or, if they are willing to exchange the phone for a replacement model then so be it. Doesn't hurt to ask/try.

Downgrades are also an option too, provided that there isn't any protection in place to prevent a downgrade, which some phones do implement at a bootloader level. But the store won't be able to help with that, nor would the Verizon community here help. Sites like XDA Developers are known for helping with this sort of task, and could probably offer up some additional suggestions for you too if downgrade isn't an option.

0 Likes