can anything be done about signal strength besides dialing *228
iamloco724
Contributor - Level 1

ive tried updated my roaming via *228 that didnt help..is there anythign else that i can do about improving my signal strength its very spotty in my house one min could have 4 bars on 3g the next im not even on 3g

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: can anything be done about signal strength besides dialing *228
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

iamloco724 wrote:

ive tried updated my roaming via *228 that didnt help..is there anythign else that i can do about improving my signal strength its very spotty in my house one min could have 4 bars on 3g the next im not even on 3g

You can get an external antenna. That is supposed to increase signal strength and reception.
0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

They have a signal booster.  I tried *228 a couple of days ago and didn't get an update but last night I did it again just to see and got a new PRL.  *228 option 2 apparently option 1 is only for activating new phones now or maybe just for smartphones I guess software updates will come down through the system upgrader.  *228 is cooler on this phone than any I have had in the past too.  it has on screen prompts to commit the update and all that. 

Check your PRL and see which one you have I am on 51638 currently.  I believe I was 51568 until last night and the signal strength in my bedroom at least got a lot better.  Having the most up to date list may not help you that much though too. that all depends on if any new towers have come into the system or any new agreements or even upgrades with more pods or whatever to existing towers has occured.  If there haven't been any infrastructure upgrades in your area updating your list may not help.  It is still a Motorola phone and while the signal is far more stable than any Motorola I have ever had it still isn't a Samsung.  (I think the device useability varies by area the different technologies use different algorithms to access towers and to jump towers. In my area and Dallas where I used to live I have done much better on CDMA networks (the only 3G networks I have used) with Samsung and LG phones (LG was phone by phone but Samsung was always awesome).  Motorola would give me better signals in a lot of places like at my house in Texas I could get 4 bars but it would randomly jump down to zero for no reason like I was on some imaginary line and if I breathed too deeply my phone jumped to a tower too far to get a signal and then back.  With Samsung I might only get 2 bars but I could count on them.  The Droid does a little better with that and may be one of two things either the network is much better now than it used to be which is possible I haven't used a Motorola phone in a long time except for the A815 that I sent back 4 times before getting an upgrade repreive.  So try *228 again and if that doesn't work then you may need a network extender.  However, one of the things on the official 2.0.1 update is cell reception so who knows it may be a software issue not fixable by *228.

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon has the "Network Extender" that you can purchase to boost your signal strength while in your home.  You must have high speed internet installed in your home in order for this to work.  It costs $249 and can only be purchased on VZW website.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFemtocell

0 Likes
redneckgirl

Already pay enough for cell phone not gonna pay another 249.00 so if verizon doesnt improve their signal by the time my contract is due for renewal I will prolly switch to another carrier that I know I can get signal in my home I mean come on we have satillite and all things modern tech and they can't get us decent signal,well if they can't someone else will.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

depends where you are in relation to the service area map.

if you're near the fringes have a lot of metal between you & the towers, reception suffers.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I do not mean any disrespect but you do realize that you are on a WIRELESS DEVICE...  The only way se can get enough signal on every carrier to make it as reliable as a home phone we would probably have to glow...

http://s1.directupload.net/images/110316/xg7fq9wk.gif

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you realize that you replied to a post that was over a year old?

redneckgirl wrote:

Already pay enough for cell phone not gonna pay another 249.00 so if verizon doesnt improve their signal by the time my contract is due for renewal I will prolly switch to another carrier that I know I can get signal in my home I mean come on we have satillite and all things modern tech and they can't get us decent signal,well if they can't someone else will.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

no, i didn't either

Message was edited by: bearone 21

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

bearone21 wrote:

no, i didn't either

Message was edited by: bearone 21

It happens.  I think everyone is feeling their way around this new format of the VZW community.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes