battery drain, running hot, htc 4glte
eric97229

Hi, I have read someone else with EXACTLY the same problem and not answer.  I have now run into several people at work with EXACTLY the same problem...and for the people at work it started about a month ago...me too.  Battery drains in 3 hours, no matter in use or not.  Gets super hot too.  I did factory reset (deleted all my pictures, addresses, apps...pure factory reset).  Didn't help.  I bought a new battery...didn't help.  I bought a second new battery thinking what if I got a bad one?  Still...pretty much drains in 3 hours.  Called Verizon, went into the store...they said it must be the battery so I bought battery.  Called HTC, they said do factory reset...

Then, I just pushed about 4 apps on the phone for the heck of it...and instantly that fixed the problem.  Was fixed.  Not running hot.

However, after 1 good week, yesterday at about 3 pm, it started running hot again and killed the battery and have the issue again.  The phone was in my pocket at the time and I wasn't and hadn't downloaded anything within many hours of this.

I see that something called "package access helper" and "screen" are responsible for 85% of the drain even if the phone is not in use.

Again, this is not unique to me...this is something I see on your message board with no answer and people at work with HTC having the same issue...and all began about a month ago.  This is screeming software update of some kind that Verizon or HTC is pushing...any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: battery drain, running hot
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

eric97229,

It's always concerning to learn about a phone becoming hot and excessive battery drain. I appreciate all the steps you have taken up to this point. Have you tried using Safe Mode to determine if the issues still occur? http://vz.to/1kcIwJ5 Please keep us posted.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
eric97229

I followed directions and did the check in safe mode.  Still drained.  I added a third party app to see what is draining the battery...it is the operating system.  When I check the phone battery status via the phone, it claims it is the screen.  Something is funky with the software and HTC combo...I have run into multiple people with the same issue and nobody knows what to do or try...

thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: battery drain, running hot, htc 4glte
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Package Access Helper is used to either install or uninstall an app. So in this case either an app did not install all the way or did not uninstall all the way.  Try going to settings>apps and find the Package Access Helper (it may have a strange name such as com.google.helperaccesspackage or something along the way. Force it to stop

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

eric97229,

Thanks for trying these steps for us. I want to make sure we get the most out of your battery. Which HTC device do you have? Are you using the charger that came with the device? Or are you using a 3rd party charger? Is there any kind of physical or liquid damage to the phone or the charging port? Please keep me posted.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes