bad/nonexistent data connection despite good signal and 4G LTE connection
pfe115
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got an HTC One m8.  When I'm in my office, i have good cellular strength and the 4G LTE indicator is lit up, and the arrows are on/blinking, but I have zero or next to zero data connection.  The phone's data is fine in other locations, but here, browsers don't work, emails don't sync, and the phone is pretty much unusable.  My old phone (Droid Razr Maxx) had a signal strengh that was just fine and I could use the 4G data connection without any hassle as recently as last week.  Is this a phone issue, network issue, or traffic issue?  Attempted power cycling, toggling airplane mode, shutting down apps, etc.  Nothing works.   Anything I can do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: bad/nonexistent data connection despite good signal and 4G LTE connection
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I completely understand the need of reliable service as we depend on our phones more and more everyday. How does the service work outside of work and in home area? Have you tried to remove the sim card and placing it back in? Share details so that I can help.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
pfe115
Enthusiast - Level 2

The service works fine outside of work and around home, I use wifi.  It seems to be a localized issue with the data.  I have tried removing the sim card and reinitializing, and it doesn't help much.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is very strange, pfe115. When you are at work, do you have your WiFi turned on in your phone? If it's on but not being used, it may be picking up a secured open network and causing some connection issues. Try turning off the WiFi while you're at work (if you aren't using it) and try again. Also, go to www.speedtest.net from your phone while you're at work and share the speed results with us.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

pfe115
Enthusiast - Level 2

wi-fi is off while I'm in my office.

About 45 minutes ago, my phone was on 3G (as shown by the indicator light at the top) the speed test results for the 3G are as follows:

4/23/14, run at 2:30 PM, download .39, upload 0.64, ping 88 ms

My phone hardly ever is on 3G while I'm in my office though.  When it automatically switched to 4G, I attempted running the test 5 times. Each time, the test failed, and I got the message, "network communication issues."  I wasn't able to complete the test once.  The ping portion of the test scored between 576 and 632 ms.  The test terminated due to "network communication issues" each time before I could get download or upload speeds.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying pfe115. What type of location is this? You indicated earlier that the device is working well in other locations. It sounds specific to the structure of your work location. I'm sorry our control is limited indoors.

JonathanK_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
pfe115
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's an office location, big building.  The signal is equally bad within a 100 yards of my building.  Some additional information for you.  It's now 6 pm in DC.  I had to stay late at work and the tourist traffic has decreased quite a bit.  I'm getting great 4G coverage now that everyone has gone home.  Ping: 46 ms, DL speed 9.69 MBPS, UL speed 4.38 MBPS according to speed test.

Seems the network is over-burdened all day every day during working hours (i.e. the time i really need my data connection).  That's a network problem, not a problem with my phone, and not a problem with my location (inside vs outside).  I'd hazard a guess that the wireless network antenna can't handle the volume. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for all those extra details, pfe115. I have sent you a follow request here in the forum. Please access https://community.verizonwireless.com/actions to accept my request and follow me https://community.verizonwireless.com/people/jenniferh_vzw back so you can send me a private message https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-1613 with your name so we can have a ticket opened for the area to take a closer look at service during the time frame you mentioned.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes