a geezer gets lollypooped
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

Well, not so much drama, the update nag screen on my S5 was becoming annoying so I figured it was time.  Uninstalled apps that I had added, wiped the cache partition and did a factory data reset.  Installed the updates and bam, it's done. Well, almost. Put some stuff back in and things seem to work pretty well. Not particularly better than before but it works so that's a plus.  No lag and I'm not noticing heat issues. The colors, UGH.  Some of my apps are now reinstalled.  Data, WiFi, calendar, contacts, Google account, calls in and out, text in and out and event sounds all work.

For data control I turned off data, checked "restrict background data"and in the Playstore app checked update apps over WiFi only as in Kit Kat.  Only difference is that there is now a fairly large nag that keeps popping up regarding my having restricted background data.  Gotta be careful as accidentally touching the darn thing will likely undo that setting.  For data limiting, having only a 1 GB plan, I set the data max limit a 900 MB.  I've found twice already the setting has mysteriously reset itself to 5 GB.  Pretty good payday for someone.  Just saying.  Keeping my eye on that.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: a geezer gets lollypooped
mama23dogs
Legend

Love the title.  At least you know what you're doing.

i Have the note 3 running lollipop.  Keep an eye on GPS, backup and Google settings.  I had to fix a few things that set to new defaults after the update.  No major problems for my phone.  A couple minor blips that a hard reboot fixed.

I Don't mind the color.  I did lower screen brightness to tone it down. 

GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

Hey mama, hope it's okay if I use your first name Smiley Happy.  I think I'm locked down pretty well, data wise.  Just gotta remember to turn it off when not in use. Location is always off unless I need to see where I am on a map.  My problem's not how much I know.  It's how much I forget.  Darn antique brain cell.

mama23dogs
Legend

LOL.  It isn't the age, it's mileage and volume.  (That's the story I'm sticking to anyway )

I ran an experiment during my last billing period, just to see how much data my phone used in a month.  I turned wifi access off on the phone.  Took all the data savers off.  Background data on, social media video on.      I didn't use navigation, but I did stream music, played a few videos, posted and viewed Facebook, downloaded apps, updated apps, email, etc.  I even tethered my tablet a couple of mornings for a few hours when it wasn't picking up wifi.

I was almost disappointed the phone didn't reach the 2 GB Mark. 

IT makes me wonder what is wrong with a phone if it is using 5 or more GBS a month.  The only time I used a lot of data, is I ran my security camera app in the background for 6 hours and racked up 5 GBS for the day.  (We have a large pool of data and don't make a dent)