Xperia Z3? Taking a bite out of the Apple.
Fossil_Eyes
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been on Apple iOS/iPhone for a long time. I have had 4 of the iPhone models since iPhone 3G. I am a PC/Mac user, but am currently more glued to my PC for the power and ability to run PC only programs, and no, I don't want Boot Camp.

After yesterday's release of the not-so-secret and not-so-surprising iPhone 6 and Watch (clever name) line-up, it is quite clear that the innovative features just don't add up or put them ahead of the competition; they're playing keep-up rather than blazing paths. While some argue they never did start anything, they at least made a solid product that was revolutionary enough. I remember my first iPod, a game changer.

Apple Watch? Could be good. Ecstatic? Not really. Third party apps may make it actually useful, but the gimmicky features they displayed yesterday don't make me feel the need to strap it to my now-empty wrist (due to the advent of mobile phones). I could be persuaded, but it is a bit iPhone 3Gish in looks and even looks like it used Apple Pay to go to McDonald's a few times before its public unveiling- yeah, it's fat, not refined or sexy as it could be.

Apple Pay? Again, playing keep-up with the competition. also, the big innovation isn't NFC, it's that Apple makes profits from us using their system, at least that's the claims. While I don't really mind the "keep-up" aspect, so as to perfect the iOS/App and product environment, there seems to be a lost oomph that Apple has let go of. For example, I expected to see a phone with touch screen wrapping around the sides and possibly even the back of the phone. That is the oomph that could have been. We now have larger, more aerodynamic iPhone 5 as the next big thing. Expected updates, that's it.

For me, the size of iPhone 5 was perfect. Not perfect for viewing movies or typing, but as a mobile device, it actually fits in my pocket. Now I have to squeeze this even larger iPhone 6 into my pocket. That was the ONE thing Apple iPhone 5 had going for it was the actually well thought out usefulness of keeping gadgets appropriately sized. Sure make two iPhones, but you just axed the reasonably pocket-sized 4" one due to market pressures. Another sign Apple is now solidly following the pack. I know most people like the bigger screens, but there is a demographic of males who don't carry a frikkin' purse.

iTunes is a joke and so is the iTunes Radio which Spotify and others spank on a daily basis. iTunes should be called Apple Hub since it is homebase for iPads and iPhone data as well. When will they finally work that out?  It's completely disorganized.

With that said, I am now considering Android;  Sony Z3v and iPhone 6 are similar sizes. Obviously in comparison, the Z3v stats are better than the iPhone 6 and it's waterproof to boot- very nice. Can't believe Apple never acted on that one. Years ago, Sony was looking sad and on its way out, but they've reclaimed their soul and have caught up. Kudos to Sony.

So here I am tapping my finger and looking at dropping Apple altogether. My $850 iPad 1 3G is a paper-weight, my Mac Pro tower is an unsupported legacy machine, I use Roku now and my iTunes is rarely used and collecting cobwebs too.

I'm on the fence here. I can basically upgrade to iPhone 6 for free with the coupon offer or just sell it on eBay, or I can make the move and experience Android and Sony.

As my Apple environment loyalty has disintegrated over the years, it looks like an easy move; I use Google contacts, Gmail, Google Play (free upload of 100GB of my own music), Dropbox, Spotify, Amazon, Evernote, etc. Why pay Apple premiums for things I can get for free?

Then again, my iPhone 5 does operate as a standalone and I have all of the above apps installed. Maybe an iPhone 6 will just be good enough, just not as exciting as it used to be. My only reason to upgrade is so that I get maximum trade in value for my phone, nothing more.

Apologies for the long winded story here, but I feel that many may also resonate with my current situation and may also have something to say.

Opinions?

Labels (1)
Re: Xperia Z3? Taking a bite out of the Apple.
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Agree with playing catch up.  I have a 4s and note 3. The note dominates any apples.  I can put a 6400 mah battery and a memory card or just use free cloud storage like you mentioned.  The screen is huge which helps with my sight. I may get the i6 plus.The note 4 is coming soon the HTC one m8 is great friends love it.

awilk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Whatever suites you.

I've recently moved from Android to Apple (iOS), personally.  There are many things that I will always prefer about Android, but I have come to appreciate Apple/iOS as superior in multiple ways.  For example, I used to love to root my device to enjoy Android at its best (run custom apps, more easily block trashy content, fight back against Google's ad barrage with ad blockers, etc.), flash ROMs, make the phone do whatever I wanted it to... but I tired of working so hard to make my smartphone work properly.  I finally realized that I don't really care that much to bend backwards making my 4x4 drive like a Formula 1 car, if you know what I mean?  I've been very happy ever since outsourcing my personal mobile device IT workload to Apple.

Now, I do love the Note 3 (screen size, speed, etc.), generally like the Samsung Galaxy line of devices, and really like the HTC One (M8), but I don't love the Android/Manufacturer software model.  Samsung has improved this somewhat by making it easier to hide their bloatware, but it is still a problem for me (I've had HTC nightmares ever since my Thunderbolt, though I know I shouldn't hold that against them).  I like the Google Play edition of the HTC One (M8) in particular, but that doesn't work for me because I regularly need the coverage Verizon provides in remote areas (Big Red does have at least some advantages, along with the high price).  If I lived in the right urban area and never left the city, I'd perhaps be singing a different tune.

Dealing with apps stored on the HD vs on a large SD card can get messy as well, making the external storage argument less of a compelling one (not to mention you don't have this option with perhaps the best current Android phone, the HTC One M8).

I was an Apple holdout for the longest time when it came to mobile devices.  Finally, after spending way too many hours and headaches "in the shop tweaking," I got an iPhone.  I have to say that for me, as lame as it may sound... it has been a beautiful experience ever since.  This may change in the near future, who knows.  For now, I very much look forward to a larger screen and Apple Pay, in particular, with the new iPhone 6 Plus.

Fossil_Eyes
Enthusiast - Level 1

That is the one thing that I have to agree with, the Apple OS for what it's worth is robust and hasn't given me any major issues. It's a solid reason why I have stayed with them and why I am still considering to to remain so.

0 Likes
JohnD82
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is the Xperia Z3v coming to verizon? 

0 Likes
DLugo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes. It comes out October 23rd. Just announce at a Sony event. Sony's Xperia Z3v is a Verizon-exclusive launch of its latest flagship | Android Central