XT907 no MMS on Wi-Fi
Cathasaigh

Hello, All.

I'm using an XT907 (Verizon Motorola Droid Razr M) with the newest KitKat update, and I'm unable to receive MMS messages when I'm connected to Wi-Fi. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any work-arounds that anyone has found? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- C

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: XT907 no MMS on Wi-Fi
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are using the standard text messaging app, then the phone is operating as designed, i.e., MMS will not send/receive over wi-fi, they require a network data connection (but they count against your text plan, not your data plan).

0 Likes
Cathasaigh

I don't have data turned off, I'm just on Wi-Fi for net browsing. If it's designed not to download MMS messages when Wi-Fi is active, that's a ridiculous design fault.

0 Likes
jjhutton1

My wife and I both have RAZR M phones and after the last update a few weeks ago we are both experiencing this problem.  When we receive an MMS from anyone and we are connected to WiFi it will be listed under the sender and will say downloading.  It will stay like that until you either turn off WiFi or you turn off mobile data and then turn it back on.  This is very frustrating.  Is there any fix?  I have cleared the cache partition, cleared messaging app cache and data.  I have also rebooted the phone and set the mobile network to both LTE/CDMA and global with no change.

0 Likes
Not applicable

When wi-fi is on mobile data is off. So there is nothing to fix that is how it is suppose to work. The reason you use wi-fi is to not use mobile data if mobile data is still working while wi-fi is on then  that defeats the purpose of the wi-fi.

0 Likes
jjhutton1

I get that with WiFi on and connected, mobile data will be off but the way this phone and all the other android phones I have had have worked is that they will download and MMS whether connected on WiFi or not.  Out RAZR M phones worked that way until this last update.

0 Likes
Cathasaigh

Hey, JJ. The only solution that I've found is to use Hangouts instead of

the default messaging app. Looks like Google well and truly owned Motorola

during the KitKat build after all.

0 Likes
jjhutton1

Thanks Cathasaigh.  That worked.

0 Likes
Cathasaigh

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Hangouts as my MMS program, but it's better than not

getting them. Glad it helped you too, JJ!

0 Likes