X-UIDH and user privacy
belarm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've noticed you're no longer injecting the X-UIDH tracking header into my web connections. Did you disable this company-wide, are you going to turn it back on, and when are you going to start honoring your customers' privacy choices?

Labels (1)
Re: X-UIDH and user privacy
belarm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I look forward to the deafening silence from Verizon on this. It's been about 3 weeks and you're still just ignoring every customer who complains about this. Pathetic.

A_Woman
Enthusiast - Level 3

The UID injected into my browser header has been removed. Verizon called me regarding my complaint to the FCC. Dunno if this will help anyone else or if the UID will remain gone from my browser header, but I'd encourage everyone with a concern to complain to the FCC and FTC regarding this practice.

0 Likes
asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just called Verizon again and worked my up through several tiers of agents to a supervisor.  She told me she had no way to remove the X-UIDH, and I believe her.  The reason I believe her is that I have worked for a cell provider in the past and know that I only had access to the options the higher ups allowed me. With the way Verizon is being so hush-hush about the matter and the fact the most of the reps I spoke with knew nothing about the X-UIDH tracking injection, I highly doubt there is an option available on their customer service portals.  She did, however, submit a ticket to the network engineering team and promised to call me back with a resolution (I'm taking that part with a grain of salt, but my fingers are crossed). 

I have some hope, but not a lot, that the network engineering team may be able to help me.  The X-UIDH injection is being done at a network level on their side.  I have tried to insert my own value for X-UIDH on my side and it gets overwritten by Verizon before reaching the internet.  If the network engineering team removes my IMEI/ESN/etc from the processes that inject the X-UIDH or creates an exception for it, I have hopes that the issue can be resolved.  Time will tell, and I will update accordingly if and when I hear back from Melissa (the supervisor I spoke with). 

Even if I am able to get the tracking ID removed, I still urge everyone to submit complaints to every three-letter agency with an ear in order to help stop this disgusting practice across the board.

FCC Complaints

Choose "Wireless Telephone"

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

FTC complaints:  I chose "Mobile Devices and Telephones"

You can also contact your Congressional representatives and urge them to support any existing bill or draft a new bill that protects consumer privacy.  Only together can we stop companies like Verizon from vacuuming up any and all customer information they can get their hands on.

asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you BLEEPING kidding me?

I just got a text from Verizon with a link to their privacy page in regards to my call.  Can't even send a letter this time?

WHAT A JOKE!

I'm going to bill them for the doctor's office visit co-pay I'm going to need after getting carpal tunnel from having to write all these letters to my representatives.  The game is on!

0 Likes
IFlyF9
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the FCC and FTC addresses. I have filed my complaints.

0 Likes