Re: Will the unlocked Nexus 4 from google play work on verizon's network?
CHRIS42060
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will definitely be Googling that.  Sounds like an excellent option. 

0 Likes
Re: Will the unlocked Nexus 4 from google play work on verizon's network?
9R33K933K
Enthusiast - Level 1

Typically this is not how it works. Its more of a "if you build it, they will come approach". The provider has to consciously make a decision to upgrade the network and then adopt a business strategy for paying for the upgrade in the hopes that the volume of new subscribers will respond to the increased reinvestment in network coverage and quality. It is best when paired with a large marketing campaign.

An increase in new subscribers prior to reinvestment only serves to discourage network improvement. It reassures execs and stockholders that the current network state is good enough by increasing profits and executive bonuses. They see it as an affirmation of their current business/network strategy rather than a call to action relative to their current substandard network.

One other important aspect of business development is that it is actually the business and mainly large enterprise class of subscribership that drives the service providers business decisions/direction. While chromebook has made some headway in the enterprise workstation arena, the legs have been cut out from underneath it with the arrival of revised thin client platforms from Microsoft and VMware and new thin client devices from HP and Wise/Dell. To my knowledge, the entire Nexus device line from Google has gone unnoticed by enterprise business and is seen merely as one of a plethora of devices present in the BYOD field. Big business sees the Nexus 7 and even the 2013 LTE as a toy that may be suitable for the employees to purchase but is remarkably inappropriate for business/enterprise use. Google Apps for Business remains as Google's greatest impacting product on the enterprise business community but Microsoft is doing everything they can to circumvent GAFB with their Office 365 behemoth and with the advancements that Office 365 is making in business intelligence, reporting and big data it appears likely. At this point Microsoft is more likely to impact the enterprise mobile device market with its purchase of the mobile device arm of Nokia combined with Win8. One has to wonder why this long after Google's Motorola purchase are the MotoTablet new releases still subpar and why isn't the Nexus 7 2013 a Motorola device instead of an ASUS. Given Moto's persisted lack of device quality I'm glad I'm not typing on a Google Moto Nexus 7 but what is the deal with this?

Google has made a habit of driving the IT sector from the backseat with projects like Nexus, Android, ChromeOS/Chromium, ChromeBrowser, GFiber, Gmail, Gdocs, Gdrive, GAFB and probably soon to be GGlass. For each of these products save glass because its yet to be released for mainstream I can name a much more profitable dopple ganger from another company. Any products that dont get cloned Google just gives away for free. Google is doing all of the heavy lifting in proof of concept and development but seems content with letting other players reap the initial profits. It appears that they remain excessively altruistic in that they spend quite a bit on driving technology development and growth while not being embraced or corrupted by the evils of enterprise class sales dollars. This is most likely because of the war chest flow of funds from online ad sales that they have been lavishing in for the last 10 to 15 years. Ultimately all google needs in order to fill their coffers is for more people (anyone) to surf the web more often. Google, enterprise shy like a firefox.

0 Likes